where to begin

What's Hot
Hi i have a fair bit of time on my hands and would like to try my hand at making an effects pedal....where do i start and what do i need to do so
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    cheers
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    I would try a kit from FuzzDog/ pedalparts. Loads of choice, maybe try something simple first like a boost or fuzz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    what solder kit would you recommend...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited August 2015
    Lots of good advice from Juan Solo in this thread. I'm working on my second pedal now after following his advice and both fired up first time without any problems.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/532456/
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I would try a kit from FuzzDog/ pedalparts. Loads of choice, maybe try something simple first like a boost or fuzz.

Hi, I'd agree.

I think there's less scope for error than with vero board projects.

I'd say something obviously on or off, but without mojo parts (orange squeeze really works best with the right chip and diodes, germanium fuzzes with their confusing pnp settings.. )

The zendrive pcb he does is pretty simple and creates a great sound, I think there's a bit of scope for messing around with the chips and tone stack too.  

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    I'd pay extra for a pcb ever time, veroboard can be tricky to solder neatly, especially if the layouts are tight.