Favorite Tele Tones

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Deijavoo said:
    What sort of stuff are you into? That may help suggestions?

I really find that impossible to answer. Not into Country that's too, erm, Country sounding, and not into Metal that gets too heavy. Otherwise I touch most bases at some point in my listening. And own / listen to a lot of what has been mentioned above.  

Guitar player wise, of all those mentioned above, stylistically Robben Ford and Jeff Beck are closest and have the tone I would most go for, but then again, I still prefer Jeff on his Strat and Robben makes any guitar he touches sound great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660

dindude said:
    Guitar player wise, of all those mentioned above, stylistically Robben Ford and Jeff Beck are closest and have the tone I would most go for, but then again, I still prefer Jeff on his Strat and Robben makes any guitar he touches sound great.
    Then maybe you don't want a Tele. It's not compulsory to own one :).

For me, neither of those really sound "like a Tele" - they could be any guitar. Obviously they *are* Teles, but they're dialed in so the characteristics that usually make a Tele easily recognisable aren't very audible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    ICBM;755715" said:
    dindude said:Guitar player wise, of all those mentioned above, stylistically Robben Ford and Jeff Beck are closest and have the tone I would most go for, but then again, I still prefer Jeff on his Strat and Robben makes any guitar he touches sound great.

Then maybe you don't want a Tele. It's not compulsory to own one :).

For me, neither of those really sound "like a Tele" - they could be any guitar. Obviously they *are* Teles, but they're dialed in so the characteristics that usually make a Tele easily recognisable aren't very audible.
    Agreed.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Can't get the YouTube link to work, but Chuck Prophet's stuff is great.

Here's Chuck with Green on Red

The mix isn't great on that, so here's the Gas, Food & Lodging album!

I'd also like to add Robyn Hitchcock and Hugh Cornwell to the roster. Those old Stranglers tones are iconic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Oh, has anybody mentioned the Quo yet?

Also is that HH amps in the backline?
  • Thanks!
    dogload said:
    Can't get the YouTube link to work, but Chuck Prophet's stuff is great.

Here's Chuck with Green on Red

The mix isn't great on that, so here's the Gas, Food & Lodging album!

T

• More recent Chuck Prophet, one of the all time greats for me.

With the "not back together" Green on Red. Interesting that Cheap Wine & Down to the Bone never stood out as album tracks, but are fantastic live (I think)

With his own band (can't remember if he was calling them the Bible Dusters or Mission Express then)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The incomparable Bill Carter

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited August 2015
    Roxette and the great Wilko Mick Green and the Pirates
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Moss said:
    Brian Fallon from the Gaslight Anthem for some cool rhythm tones
    Damn right! What @Moss said :)
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited August 2015
    From one of the Tele's best exponents:

Really nice guy too.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Kimberley Rew of Katrina & the Waves and The Soft Boys is most often seen playing a Squier Tele these days - the solo-ette from 1:20 is characteristic of the  sound I associate with his playing - usually Tele through a Blues Junior with no pedals.

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Not a fashionable opinion round these parts, but lots of Coldplay songs have really good Tele tones on them - e.g Yellow, Shiver.
  • bigjon;757715" said:
    Not a fashionable opinion round these parts, but lots of Coldplay songs have really good Tele tones on them - e.g Yellow, Shiver.
    That lead tone is shiver is excellent - I got a similar sound with a hot rod deluxe drive channel and an affinity telecaster, which was surprisingly very good sounding.

Hard to believe the quality £100 gets you these days.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9741
    edited August 2015
    ThePrettyDamned;757727" said:
    [quote="bigjon;757715"]Not a fashionable opinion round these parts, but lots of Coldplay songs have really good Tele tones on them - e.g Yellow, Shiver.
    That lead tone is shiver is excellent - I got a similar sound with a hot rod deluxe drive channel and an affinity telecaster, which was surprisingly very good sounding.

Hard to believe the quality £100 gets you these days. [/quote]

Affinity Teles are Fender's best kept secret. I regret ever selling mine. Great neck and had that distinctive Tele spank.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27236
    bigjon said:
    FWIW most of both of those was a Jaguar, but there is a lot of JD Tele on Parachutes, and plenty of 72 thinline stuff on everything since
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires