Tapered strings?

What's Hot
Do they exist? Seems like a good idea to having bright up top for chords and skinnier on the higher frets for lead? Would this even work?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    I've always wondered about this....mainly as heavy strings are great to pick on but not to bend
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72772
    No.

The intonation would change along the length of the string so they wouldn't play in tune.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess over the pickups it would be really thin so it would just be heavy up top with no tonal difference to thinner strings

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5182
    Can't say I've ever heard of them. I would imagine making them with any sort of precision would be expensive, and I don't know what (if any) effect they'd have on tone, playability or string life.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5182
    ICBM said:
    No.

The intonation would change along the length of the string so they wouldn't play in tune.

I thought there would probably be some sort of physics-y reason why it wouldn't work. Brain didn't want to figure it out.

Of course, to have them not play in tune you'd have to make them first, and I wasn't sure how you'd do that...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    String has to vibrate in a regular wave pattern at a certain frequency so has to be same diameter along its entire length.
  • Some bass strings are tapered, but only at the ends and not in the speaking length. Otherwise they don't fit in machine heads!
  • Piano wound bass strings have no windings where they pass over the saddle, but this is compensated for when setting the intonation.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72772
    Exactly - because the offset is only at the saddle. If they tapered along the rest of their length the intonation would be different at every fret.

I suppose in theory you could calculate by how much, and build a guitar specifically to take tapered strings, if you knew the taper ratio!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    You would also get a dampering effect as the energy from the plucked thin end transferred to the thick end, the latter's great weight would lower the frequency of the initial vibration as it would take greater energy to overcome its inertia and build momentum. Rather like the dampers used on some bridges.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4935
    In that magazine we all used to buy, there was once a brilliant April Fool about left-handed strings, where the wound strings had the wrapper wound on in the opposite direction - genius!