Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Amp Day - guess what it is!

What's Hot

Comments

• Tech21?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Some warmer, some cooler!

:)

Clue 9 - yes, it's a Peavey.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'll rule out bandit but I'm stumped from there :(
    edited July 2016
    Very nearly, and like ThePrettyDamned who PM'd me earlier with "Peavey mini bandit thing I can't remember the name of", close enough that I'll have to give you it :).

[Pic hosting account expired]

Peavey Studio Pro 110. An all-solid-state practice amp (which technically is a 'master volume' amp, even though I knew that might be taken the wrong way ;) ) from 1993. Dead stock.

I recorded the clip on the dirty channel, with exactly the settings shown. (Except for the reverb being off for the recording.)

Interesting that most people thought it was a valve amp. Even more so, the 5W amp I mentioned that I compared it to for volume was a Tweed Champ circuit with a 12" speaker, and I was able to dial the Peavey in so it sounded very close. I know it's easy to play tricks with your expectations in a recording with no reference, but it really does show how much of it *is* down to the expectations.

That little amp really does sound very good, almost as good as a pretty decent valve amp, even if you're in the room with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IT WAS SOLID STATE? :-O  I feel dirty and sick.... I need to shower.

Very good though.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That was my next guess...

Honest :|
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited November 2013
    I used to have one of those.

I loaned it to a chap to use as a harp amp.

He fucked off with it :(
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Bloody hell .. I still have a solid state Peavey amp from the 1990s ... somewhere ..  :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I had an older Peavey Bandit 65 a few years ago that sounded better than I thought it would, 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Nice!
  • Only just spotted this thread.

Bloody Hell! My mate used to play through one of those in our band back in the 90's. My first guess before clues was a Fender Supersonic.

I might dig my old Marshall Valvestate back out.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Nice sounds indeed - had an old Encore 65 many moons ago - my first valve amp!
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• Get in.

Seriously, I love bandits. It's amazing how many times I've played them in shops when testing a guitar set up and folks can't believe what they're hearing. They certainly sound better than some valve amps!

Quite neat that there are littler versions of it, I've never really tried them. But that was some quality tone there. How is it when the gain gets pushed a bit? Would it get some serious grind going?

Genuinely looking to trade my mooer and cab for a Peavey bandit by the way, or a 6505+ or a similar gainy amp. So if anyone has either in the Cambridgeshire area... :D
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

I never doubted that it was solid state, there just isn't the depth of tone there you get with a good valve amp.

But that's not to take away that it is a very good guitar sound none the less.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really like my teal stripe Bandit. The best £41 I ever spent on an amp.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited November 2013
    dindude said:

I never doubted that it was solid state, there just isn't the depth of tone there you get with a good valve amp.

But that's not to take away that it is a very good guitar sound none the less.

I'm actually going to disagree with this and say that, listening to it again through decent headphones, I could easily say that was a valve amp.  And a well recorded one.  Amazing how many sounds and drive levels were coming out of the amp just by changing the pickup position and coil split, and I've heard a fair few valve amps that are probably not as responsive as this.  All IMO of course, and I'm known for being a lot less fussy than most - I just want to sound good rather than like...Er...Whoever the 'tone flavour of the month' is. 

But you're right about how good it sounds for sure. Just put my mooer on the classifieds to trade for a bandit or similar.

EDIT: @ICBM, how does the bandit cope at higher volume levels?  Would it gig?  Likewise with this 1x10 combo, is that more or a home amp or would it do for a small gig too?
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

I agree with Dindude. It's not a bad sound, but you can tell it's SS. There's some nice chime on the cleans but the transition to distortion is too sudden with variations in picking strength, and the distortion towards the end has a hard edged character to it.

edited November 2013
    @ICBM, how does the bandit cope at higher volume levels?  Would it gig?  Likewise with this 1x10 combo, is that more or a home amp or would it do for a small gig too?
    The Bandit is *easily* loud enough to gig with. Like a lot of solid-state amps the sound does fall apart when it's really pushed into power-stage overload, but at 65-100W (depending on the model - the equivalent 'teal stripe' one is 80W) through a pretty sensitive 12" speaker, you're unlikely to get there.

Even this one at 65W and a 10" is loud enough to gig with.

A long time ago I had the slightly older model, without the teal stripe - from memory it was 50W rather than 65, but otherwise very similar - and it was both louder and better-sounding than a Mesa Subway Rocket I had at the time. OK that's only a 20W amp, but it has a reputation for being a very loud 20W, and it's also certainly giggable.

(Until I saw this Studio, I had mistakenly remembered my old amp as being a Backstage, but I'm now sure it wasn't. The Backstage is smaller and lower-powered. I've owned more than one Backstage of different ages and a couple of Bandits too!)

I'll see if I can record a higher gain clip soon.

• Nice! I look forward to it.

I also discovered the Peavey chorus in the other thread that sounds pretty awesome. I can't find any used, so they're pretty rare - never seen one in a shop.

Rather nifty, the newer bandit into 4ohms is 100 watts so that's fair wattage!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Peavey Stereo Chorus? Yikes, now that is a bloody hefty amp... I used to be in a band with someone that had one. Not a bad sound per se, but very 1980s... if you get my drift.

One of these days I'm going to record something with all four amps I have - some SS and some valve - to see if some of these folks with "bat ears" can truly tell the difference between SS and Valve when compressed into mp3 format. And not respond after the 'reveal' saying that they could hear the difference...

Honestly, I thought its a nice tone. I heard some valve amps that sound a lot worse than that - including some 'well respected' and 'expensive' ones!!

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.