Moments in songs that scare the shit outta ya.... (Late night setting)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited August 2015
    I'd also like to namedrop the frankly awesome Gnaw Their Tongues. These guys (well, guy, cos it's just a bloke from the Netherlands) are insanely dark and ear-splittingly loud. Unclassifiable and down right nauseating with flourishes of symphonic majesty, bass heavy grind and blood curdling black metal screams. All their tracks are pretty bloody disturbing but this one has been a highlight recently:

You should check out the song titles too. 'Gazing At Me Through Tears Of Urine' is one of the softer ones.

-----

MAJOR thumbs up for Khanate and Penderecki. Lots of Penderecki influence in Gnaw Their Tongues.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Yeah, Gnaw Their Tongues is fucking crazy stuff. His black metal project Cloak of Altering is great too.

Khanate are bloody scary... and don't even get me started on Sunn 0)))...

I'm not going to tell you when the vocals come in, listen to the whole thing and get the shit scared out of you.

This is just a creepy bunch of noises, it's possible that many poos will shoot out if you listen to it late at night in the dark.

This is a bit scary too... upon finding out the guest vocalist was claustrophobic, they locked him in a coffin to record his part.

Amazing guitar tone though.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    It's certainly not a "moment" - it's over 18 minutes long - but the first time I listened to this, on headphones, in the early hours of the morning, it was... disturbing.

edited August 2015
    Oh, and all of this. This is just super fucking disturbing.

Supposedly all mental patients, just screaming incoherently. I've heard there's an attempted murder caught on tape in there somewhere. They've done several albums of this. There's an interview with one of the sick fucks here:

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited August 2015
    stimpsonslostson;757131" said:
    The first time I heard this I was studying late at night… it kinda freaked me out.
    I'm not sure any NCaTBS is particularly scarey but can be quite unsettling and challenging listening at times.

Have you heard this live version of O'Malley's Bar?

I do t like some of the narrative changes from the recorded version but performance wise its first class - the demented rambling at the end etc.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    I made a copy of Springsteen's Nebraska LP for a bandmate once.  He was listening to it in the car, and had to jack the volume up for some of the quieter numbers.  He very nearly crashed at the surprise "whoop" Bruce lets out towards the end of State Trooper.

As a kid, I used to hide under the dining room table with my hands over my ears in anticipation of the dreaded "Ooooh-laaaa!" of the death machines in Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I just don't 'get' black metal at all. The 'screaming' just makes me laugh and deliberate attempts to shock (crosses on fire, naked ladies, OTT gore, mental patients, corpse paint etc) just come across as silly and trying to hard.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I made a copy of Springsteen's Nebraska LP for a bandmate once.  He was listening to it in the car, and had to jack the volume up for some of the quieter numbers.  He very nearly crashed at the surprise "whoop" Bruce lets out towards the end of State Trooper.

As a kid, I used to hide under the dining room table with my hands over my ears in anticipation of the dreaded "Ooooh-laaaa!" of the death machines in Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds.

My dad used to scare us as kids with that Wotw record.... Unfortunately the word "ulla" translates as apples in Irish. So a troop of aliens stomping around screaming for apples kind of diminished the desired effect.... ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9710
    edited August 2015
    No one mentioned Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner yet?

That diminished seventh arpeggio near the beginning of Bach's Tocatta and Fugue.

Parts of the second solo in Comfortably Numb.

I don't know the piece well enough to pinpoint it, but there's a pretty dramatic and sudden chord in Mozart's Don Giovanni which is scary first time of hearing.

And unsettling rather than scary - Blue Jay Way by The Beatles - diminished seventh again.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    edited August 2015
    for me...it'll always be Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit"

the music, the lyric, the story, the writer, the pen name, the lot
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24400
    The number of times I've fallen asleep listening to Dark Side of The Moon and then On The Run segues into Time and the alarm clocks all kick off and wake me up like a scalded cat.  So many times that's caught me.  Bastards.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    If I can bear to listen to all of it, do I get a prize?

Just kidding. 
    ;)

I can see the appeal of a live performance and maybe headphones but would you sit around with some mates and a spliff and listen? What would you talk about?!!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Has anyone mentioned "ooooooh - loooooow"' yet?
    Emp_Fab said:
    The number of times I've fallen asleep listening to Dark Side of The Moon and then On The Run segues into Time and the alarm clocks all kick off and wake me up like a scalded cat.  So many times that's caught me.  Bastards.
    That reminded me of my all-time favourite album, Ocean Machine by Devin Townsend... the last four tracks form the most glorious half-hour of music imaginable, which one could quite easily drift off into a peaceful sleep to, but then at the very end of the last track... 4:30:

You bastard, Dev...
  • doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
    First time I ever listened to Wish You Were Here, the album, I was, erm, somewhat 'chilled'

Sat on my armchair in front of my big stereo and an enormous pair of TDL floorstanders, and had it turned up rather loud.

Got to the end of Have A Cigar, and there's that big "WHOOOOOSH" filter sweep and it gets all tinny and trebly and I got the fright of my life, and thought I'd blown my amplifier.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom