DAW software ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Danny1969 said:
    RvB said:
    Quite enjoying Pro Tools First myself, finding it a bit more intuitive than Reaper - http://apps.avid.com/ProToolsFirst/
    I was interested in trying that, but the iLok requirement put me off. I have to say, though, the usability (or lack thereof) with Pro Tools is what pushed me to Reaper. I spend a couple of days trying to record a track with PT back when I first started all of this, and got nowhere. Downloaded and installed Reaper, and an hour later I'd done it.
    I actually bought an m-audio interface specifically to try protools because it was what all the real studios use. The drum editing features sucked total balls at the time though. 

Midi editor was rectangles only rather than diamonds and no named notes.
    Protools was always the boss for real drum editing, mainly cos of Beat Detective. To be able to put a drummer in time by cutting the hits into regions and then auto aligning the regions to the grid  in seconds was really something at the time. I assume now all the DAW's have a similar thing but at the time when I started(15 years ago) it was amazing ...... oh and with the DSP mix TDM  cards at £10K each you didn't have to put up with any latency either. 

You could probably run a bigger session these days on an i5 running Reaper than I could with my £20K Mix plus system but it's that original heritage that puts in out front even now amongst audio professionals. On Friday I was tracking a young band in a mobile session and the producer who was entrusted to mix the final songs basically said thank god your using Protools, that's made my life a lot easier. 

My passage through DAW's was like this :

CakeWalk midi sequencer - Cubase VST - Cubase SX - Samplitude Studio - Protools LE - Protools Mix Plus - Protools HD . I also like Reaper for tracking (but definately not for mixing) and Studio One for tracking if I'm working with a Presonus desk
    Oh yeah my use case is like 95% midi drums so it was the midi drum editing features specifically. Reaper sitll doesnt have a built in beat detective alike though.

I did all the editing on the last album using tab to transient and cut/crossfade style slip-editing.

What is it that puts you off reaper for mixing? Lack of good built in plugins (some of the ReaXYZ ones are better than others)?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom