Melancon pro artist

What's Hot
llewllew Frets: 78
Has anyone tried one? They look pretty sweet how do they compare against fender,suhr etc? Just wondering cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    My old guitar teacher had one - it was ok but seemed a bit soulless compared to his Les Paul and relic Angry Angus strat
    Stop crying, start buying
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    That's the thing, there's not many about to try?
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Calling @Handsome_Chris
  • I've got one, and nearly sold it on here for a give away price.  Luckily I saw the error of my ways.

They are great guitars, and because they do not have the Anderson, Suhr label you can pick 'em up for a bit less and still get the same quality.

The reason I nearly got rid of mine, is that I'm a bit metal, and the Mel is a bit more rock.  To this end I decided to keep it due to the fact that I may need a good version of a strat for a more mellow band: It's a great all-rounder.

Here are a couple of pics of mine, please pardon the quality, for your perusal.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's a beauty Handsome_Chris.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Did you get that from Oxford Guitar Gallery? I seem to remember them having it.

They seem to be held in the same regard as Suhr and Tom Anderson in terms of quality. I'd have one.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    llew said:
    That's a beauty Handsome_Chris.
    +1
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I have played that one and its a great guitar, hugely underrated.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 848
    edited August 2015
    Yep  it came from Oxford Guitar Gallery.  And I nearly bought it from Chris (having played it before).

I ended up with a Suhr modern.  Its less versatile than the Mel, but probably more suited to what I wanted from the guitar.

Generally(as much as you can generalise about guitars manufacturers) the Mels are more traditional is woods and build where as Suhrs and Anderson's have a little bit of a more modern take.  Mels stock teles and strats are on par, if not better than anything coming out of Fenders Custom Shop IMO.  Each Mel is still fully hand built as well I believe - not even sure if he uses routers for the body cuts ( Think I read somewhere he didnt - but I could be wrong) and his output is only in the 10's per year not 1000's 
    There's one on Gumtree for £800. Seems like a good price to me.
  • @llew, certainly consider it.
    I am that's the trouble lol.
  • For £800 you'll be getting a very high quality guitar.

Just think of it as a really good version of a Strat. I'm not a fan of the strats, so mine is held onto for auditions where I don't know how people are going to react to my more exciting guitars.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    The main difference between one of them and a Fender is... It's not a Fender. ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That and there generally built better than a fender....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Had a quick look at the one on Gumtree.  Looks really nice, and loaded with Lollar's.  Id snap it up if I didnt have a Select Strat already.
    I was hoping he'd be interested in a trade with my Dr z remedy but he's not and I don't really have the spare cash to buy it outright so looks like I won't be getting my hand's on it anytime soon :((
  • paulmapp8306;760370" said:
    That and there generally built better than a fender....
    I honestly do wonder about this - I've had a go on some custom shop strats, Suhr, Anderson etc and to be honest there is only so good you can get at screwing things to selected bits of wood.

That said, if a melancon can be as good as a cs strat, they're much cheaper second hand!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinder;760157" said:
    The main difference between one of them and a Fender is... It's not a Fender. ;)
    Thankfully. I've got a Fender and tried lots to make it interesting. @Fretfinder I have to agree with you. Fenders are too much blah, for too much money.
  • paulmapp8306;760370" said:
    That and there generally built better than a fender....
    I honestly do wonder about this - I've had a go on some custom shop strats, Suhr, Anderson etc and to be honest there is only so good you can get at screwing things to selected bits of wood.

That said, if a melancon can be as good as a cs strat, they're much cheaper second hand!
    Pretty much that.  The Mels are better than any Fender bar CS models - and depending who puts them together sometimes better.  The attention to detail on the Mels are great.  New prices are high - sometimes higher than CS strats - though you do get full say in woods, tops (if any) hardware, PUs, electrics, colour etc BUT used prices - when they come up - make them a steel.