NGD - Lynched

What's Hot
n3pn3p Frets: 38
Been a while since I had a bout of GAS, but after moving some guitars on to make space I foolishly bought a new guitar. Now this may not be to most people's tastes, but with variety being the spice of life and all that jazz I thought I'd share some snaps :) This one will probably appeal to fans of cheesy 80s hard rock (like me!)

Basic specs: Bolt-On maple neck 25.5” Scale Alder Body 1 Pc Maple Neck & Fingerboard 42mm Bone Nut Extra Thin U Neck Contour 22 XJ Frets Nickel Hardware Sperzel Locking Tuners Schaller Straplocks Gotoh Vintage Bridge Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (B) & ESP SS-120 (N&M) p.u. Finish: Distressed 2-Tone Sunburst

I present the ESP GL-56:

Despite how it looks, the guitar is actually in excellent condition (all the features including fretboard wear, "cigarette" burns and deep scratches are factory, giving it a properly distressed look. It took me a while to find one of these bad boys, but I managed to get it for a good price.

First impressions are very good. Obviously the relic job is a bit marmite, but it has an excellent "worn in" feel with a neck to die for. The pearly gates provide adequate grunt, and the singles do a pretty good job - all in all a pretty darn versatile instrument. It's gonna take a few hours for me to completely make more of an assessment but all signs are positive! 

Here it is among superstratty friends (some of which you've probably seen on these shores before :)

To the pointy uneducated (L-R): ESP GL56, Ibanez JEM77GMC, Jackson Shannon Masterbuilt CS Soloist, Ibanez JEM77PMC

Does I prefer it to my favourite JEMS? hmm, we'll see ;)

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3074
    Congrats. I must say though that Soloist has made my gentlemans sausage tingle.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have a Wow. I don't do strats, but I really like that. Google tells me they do a similar tele... Now I have GAS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Holy cow.

With a collection like that your fingers must be sore from playing at a billion notes per second! That Jackson makes me frisky.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Like a Rory Gallagher good work
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6233
    tFB Trader
    I have wanted one of these forever. Congrats on the purchase and bear me in mind if you plan to sell it.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3102
    It's lovely. Like some others the Jackson is the one for me!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    Awesome guitar.

I like these.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The gl56 I tried was hands down in the top 5 guitars I've ever got my hands on. I'd love to own one.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5192
    I have a WTB Thread for one :(
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    Awesome, and excellent collection there :D

I love how they put a "Don't bin this" sticker on the back of the neck. :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cracking looking guitar. Nice collection too.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Great guitars. I've always liked those - well, basically anything associated with Lynch really!!

Congrats
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    Nice one, tiger next?
    Love the soloist and the PMC
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    nice purchase sir. 
    I haven't seen a proper ESP for ages...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • FezFez Frets: 537
    Nice geetar. Maybe it's just me but I always think humbuckers look better on a strat without covers.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Amazing!!  Where did you get it?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    It's got a lot of scratches for a new guitar.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • n3pn3p Frets: 38
    edited August 2015
    A lot of closet Dokken fans here eh? ;)

Thanks all, it's a great guitar and I was quite lucky to get it - it had been on ebay for a bit and I had been umming and aah'ing for a while before I couldn't stop thinking about if I'd ever get the chance to buy one again. @maidenfan - I'd rather get the Kamikaze over the Tiger, although the last time I enquired about one I was quoted £3600 by Rose Morris...don't want it that much :)

About the Jackson, as it got some loving. I believe it's from around 2008, where the legendary Mike Shannon built a batch of 80s spec Soloists for NAMM. Mike Shannon was with Jackson at the start and even made the early Concordes for Randy Rhoads and his name is well known in pointy circles.

It has a tilt back thru-neck, non recessed floyd and some nice binding over the frets with an ebony board. It's a great guitar, quite different to your modern day soloist, and has bags of character. Mike Shannon has signed the back too. Some old random
     pics:

Enough rabbiting for now, I've been out all weekend and dying to get on the ESP! :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited August 2015

Dokken!  I making a solid maple V Trem tiger one of these days.  NO love for Ibanez though, other than Iceman's and Destroyers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV5qUB7iJ1U

Nice guitar BTW

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom