Hold on lads, I've had a great idea...

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited August 2015 in Guitar
So my green MJT Strat is perfect and holy in all ways - except one. I got the neck wrong when I ordered it, the size and shape of the profile aren't what I initially wanted and I chose the wrong finish too... and I don't like the ungainly copy headstock USACG have to use because they're not officially licensed. All of the above is entirely my own fault, no blaming MJT or USACG for this. But I've a plan...

One day, in the distant future when I have enough money to piss away on such a thing, I want to get a new neck made and refinished by MJT again. I'll go with Musikraft this time, because they can use official Fender headstock shapes which just look right. But here's the clincher - instead of the traditional unbound neck with dot inlays that I have now, I want to go the whole hog and get a late-60s Jazzmaster inspired neck with binding and block inlays. And a CBS headstock, of course.

I had the urge to do this originally but was put off by the not-insignificant extra cost of the inlays and binding. This time though, I'll do what I initially wanted... you don't see Strats with blocks and binding very often but I think it'd look ace. Inspired somewhat by this gorgeous thing:

Profile-wise, what I really wanted was a D shape rather than a C - I wanted it to be narrowish but quite thick, with pronounced shoulders - my Raygun DC Junior has a very similar-feeling neck and it's my favourite profile of any of my guitars. Musikraft only seems to offer a list of different preset profiles rather than measurements... not sure which would be best. Needs more thought. But then on top, as is the case on the current neck, it'll be a flatter radius (12" probably), with 22 big frets. Maybe not quite as big as the current ones, but big. And I have a lovely custom made logo from Rothko and Frost to go on it as well...

So yeah... I don't know why I posted this, no point really, but I'm excited about eventually getting this to happen!
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11971
    The lesson is save up and get what you want at the end in the first place :)

It's cheaper in the long run. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • You can try the really fat all parts neck - it's so fat, you can have it reprofiled into something else you really like!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    ThePrettyDamned;761088" said:
    You can try the really fat all parts neck - it's so fat, you can have it reprofiled into something else you really like!
    I love the fat all parts neck wonderfully comfy thing.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340

nail on the head
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • The lesson is save up and get what you want at the end in the first place :)

+1 get a PRS and you're sorted ;)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340

+1 get a PRS and you're sorted ;)
    https://ferrellgummit.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/asshat.jpg?w=700
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2015
    ;)
    (In seriousness - they're giggable out of the box without the need for any mods)
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    thomasross20;761176" said:
    ;)(In seriousness - they're giggable out of the box without the need for any mods)
    So is pretty much every guitar over £200. He's modding it to make it a unique guitar that fits a dream list in his head, not to make it capable of gigging; whatever that means.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited August 2015
    Bucket said:
    I really like the look of that - what is it? 

The body looks like an aerodyne (but the aerodyne doesn't have the F-hole).
    We are all Chameleons...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27374
    While I agree that getting spec right first time is really helpful, if you haven't had something like 50 guitars you don't know what you like and what you don't so you can't necessarily get it perfect first time. God knows I wouldn't have done at @Bucket's age, which is why my own strat went through a decade of constant modding to get it to a place I'm happy with it. 

What that has to do with PRS I have no idea!

FWIW I think a B+B necks look horrendous on anything Fender, but if you know what you want then go for it :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Blocked and bound necks on Fenders look wrong, but you probably don't want to hear that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The way I look at stuff like this is that adding the blocks and binding now will cost alot less than adding them down the line, so save up and do it right first (second!) time.

What could you get for the current neck second-hand?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8553
    How did this thread about finding the perfect Strat neck turn into another PRS advert! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry guys, this is my fault, I offloaded my PRS Fanboi members-club hat to @thomasross20 a few years back and now I see what it was like from your side.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK, so maybe OP should get any >2k guitar if he wants quality out of the box. He's studying music, make it an investment in his future.

I'm just not into all this modding business.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16820
    thomasross20;761448" said:
    OK, so maybe OP should get any >2k guitar if he wants quality out of the box. He's studying music, make it an investment in his future.

Good job Paul Reed Smith is

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2015
    The way I look at stuff like this is that adding the blocks and binding now will cost alot less than adding them down the line, so save up and do it right first (second!) time.

What could you get for the current neck second-hand?
    I don't know... depends how much someone will pay for a fat-ish neck with a flat fretboard and enormous frets, in a weird orangey colour with a knock-off CBS-style headstock :D I don't know whether it's even worth selling, I could keep it and maybe use it for something else in the future. It's a perfectly good neck, feels lovely, but it isn't quite right. Feel-wise, and definitely looks-wise.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    OK, so maybe OP should get any >2k guitar if he wants quality out of the box. He's studying music, make it an investment in his future.

I've no idea how you think owning a £2,000+ guitar makes it anymore likely that anyone will succeed in the music industry versus them owning a £500 guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    Your current neck should sell pretty quickly  - I like the sound of it. 

but I like the idea of blocks and binding as well.  I'm sure someone sold one like that (maybe not the thick style you want) on here a while back and I thought it was a cool idea.   Go for it. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2015
    F%£# sake you guys take things a bit too serious!
    I don't think an expensive guitar makes somebody more famous. I see it like modding a car & what's the point modding a standard car when you can buy a luxury version instead that you don't need to faff around on