Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Technique that most changed your playing

What's Hot
just wondering if there was a certain technique that took your playing to the next level?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8816
    Learning to play a bass line on the lower strings whilst comping partial chords on the others. Before that I played chords, and I played single lines, but never the twain did meet. Since then I play a lot of partial chords, and often think in chord shapes when soloing
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Never got to the 'next level'. Finding it hard enough to keep at the level I am at now....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    Using my nails to strike the strings. Had to grow them first having been a compulsive biter for years. Much easier getting tonal variation off the strings.
  • vizviz Frets: 10759
    Whammy warble and super locrian over the dominant.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Good left hand Vibrato, and then learning to slow it down. Makes you sound like you know what you're doing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16316
    Getting an earlier level better maybe - working on the basics of funk which then apply across to blues, reggae,etc, thus turning me into a semi useful rivvum player which impresses me more these days than my tuneless pentatonic widdling.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7324
    The palm mute
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26971
    For me, it was two - legato and tapping, and then the consequent technique of hammer-ons from nowhere. Just about everything I do with lead work is based on those principles, mainly because my right-hand issues mean I can't pick particularly fast.
    <space for hire>
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5316
    alternate bass picking with thumb whilst playing chords and lead bits a la Merle Travis....Travis picking they call it:) learnt on acoustic took ages now invaluable on electric too...also frailing like a banjo but on guitar
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497

Learning how to actually practice, by that I mean taking something I CAN'T do and working on it slowly and methodically until I can ..... as opposed to noodling stuff I can already do for 1\2 hour which most people think of as practice
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:

Learning how to actually practice, by that I mean taking something I CAN'T do and working on it slowly and methodically until I can ..... as opposed to noodling stuff I can already do for 1\2 hour which most people think of as practice
    You just described exactly my problem.  I tend to sit down and re-hash songs (or fragments of them) which I already know.  I therefore don't focus on developing my skills, which leads to stagnation.

Can you give some examples of things you work on in a productive practice session?  When deciding what to practice, do you follow a plan (either made by yourself, or by a tutor), or do you follow your instinct?
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing just now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • Hybrid picking - it's not something I think about, but at some point I just started using other fingers on my right hand while picking, and I even find it difficult to just pick things now, hybrid picking is so much easier and convenient.

I also economy pick a lot - not a conscious decision, just me being... economical I suppose!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31046
    Not looking at the Classifieds and looking at my playing instead

(still work in progress)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497
    Danny1969 said:

You just described exactly my problem.  I tend to sit down and re-hash songs (or fragments of them) which I already know.  I therefore don't focus on developing my skills, which leads to stagnation.

Can you give some examples of things you work on in a productive practice session?  When deciding what to practice, do you follow a plan (either made by yourself, or by a tutor), or do you follow your instinct?
    At the mo there's a few things I'm working on that I think will enhance my playing, things I've seen other people do that make me envious ..... That's the carrot for me, there's no plan other than wanting to be able to do the tricks other players incorporate into their playing  .. Like I wanted to be able to do that "Harping" effect that people like Tommy Emanuel do, so I started slowly getting the harmonics on their own in a chord shape and now I'm incorporating the non harped strings octaves in that shape that produce the effect ... it's still slow and a world away from the level it needs to be but every practice session it gets a little better and that's the point .... persistence and patience lead to reward 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    ditching cyclic picking.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Playing 10 hours a day.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

At the mo there's a few things I'm working on that I think will enhance my playing, things I've seen other people do that make me envious ..... That's the carrot for me, there's no plan other than wanting to be able to do the tricks other players incorporate into their playing  .. Like I wanted to be able to do that "Harping" effect that people like Tommy Emanuel do, so I started slowly getting the harmonics on their own in a chord shape and now I'm incorporating the non harped strings octaves in that shape that produce the effect ... it's still slow and a world away from the level it needs to be but every practice session it gets a little better and that's the point .... persistence and patience lead to reward 

I love that technique, I used it on one song on our first EP and spent fucking hours re-recording this one part over and over again Since I never managed to pull it off cleanly live I just dropped it and now I cant do it at all again :(
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Left hand muting. It's amazing what a difference this makes...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Concentrate on alternate picking, without worrying about what my left (fretting) hand was doing.
    Tightened my picking up nicely, and made my fretting much lighter as an extra.
    Literally using a 2-4-5-4 (fret) then 4-5-7-5, then 5-7-9-7 to a metronome made everything better.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Roland said:
    Learning to play a bass line on the lower strings whilst comping partial chords on the others. Before that I played chords, and I played single lines, but never the twain did meet. Since then I play a lot of partial chords, and often think in chord shapes when soloing
    @Roland would love to see a video of this