anyone experience/recommendations for lap steel, please :-)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Whitecat said:

I have the 6 and 8 string sliders, they are well made
    The 8 string pickup has a more SC quality, and matches the instrument better - the distance between strings is a little narrower than I'd prefer though 
    My 6 string one is now surplus, btw
    I've been thinking about picking up the 8-string, actually, it seems a bargain for what it is... how hard is it to transition to playing it? I mostly play the 6-string in open G... the string spacing thing is a little worrying, I wouldn't call my fingers "slender" but at the same time I guess they're not "fat" either. 
    I'd say the 8 string is only useful if you are picking out notes, with fingers, picks or a plectrum
    I have a handmade 8 string with wider pitch, so I probably notice it more than most would

Both 8 strings are playable, the wider one is easier when using the tonebar on selected strings
    I think the G6 and A6 tuning are good on the 8 strings, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Cheers for that. May have to snag one, I suspect I might keep both and keep them in different tunings...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16819
    Answering the questions this time:
    You only need one pickup really
    I think humbuckers are too muddy - most lap steels don't feature humbuckers
    Scale length varies a lot, many are 21 inch

Make sure you use a proper heavy Shubb Tonebar. It makes a huge difference

agree about 1 pickup, although 2 won't hurt on somethng with a longer sale length where you can set them apart a bit. The asher lapsteels are a good example.

I had an old japanese one with 2 broken gold foils   I had them rewound to different specs (different wire and output - original magnets) to give good tonal variation and it worked very well. 

totally agree about the tonebar - its the difference between shit and brilliant

21-22" is quite a traditonal length, but longer does work well and allow a greater choice of strings and tunings

• Make sure you use a proper heavy Shubb Tonebar. It makes a huge difference

Difference compared to what? Compared to a regular slide for "spanish" guitar, or to a crappier tonebar?

If the former, totally agree.

FWIW, I put a Wilkinson P90-size mini humbucker in my Recording King lap steel because the place we used to rehearse had a fluorescent light right over "my" spot- not so bad with regular s/c guitars but not kind to lap steels which pointed straight at it. It doesn't sound quite the same, but not miles off.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited September 2015
    ToneControl
    You have message.
    Great advice, thanks guys ;)