a good low cost bass

ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
my oldest is looking for a good bass that don't cost too much..
he's a keys player really but just wants a bass to goof around with and do some recording

I was wondering about a Squire or a Yamaha
play every note as if it were your first
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited August 2013
    Predictably, my answer will be more "modern" basses, as I'm not a fan of Ps/Js

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Squire for a precision/jazz, I've seen these used live, and they sound good.

I've also seen Yams in the same situation, and same as above..

@Drew_fx has a thread showing love for Squires.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

actually... being an Ibanez player mself I don't know why they never occured to me.

personally I like the modern basses too.. long-horn Strat body types....

but it's really up to him..

I'll point him at a few in a shop and get him to try them.. see what he thinks..

if I had a bass of my own I think it'd be a 5-string Stingray

• RBX 375 is a good bass (I've got one).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Classic Vibe if you want something traditional or a Yammy if you want something a bit more modern.
    for the big 'un, the RBX374 looks like another good option to explore
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited August 2013
    Love the Yamaha BEX4 I picked up  IIRC it was circa £250.  Look on Basschat classifieds - always stuff moving there,

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I'm looking to sell my Yamaha TRB4-II actually - Japanese made, looks and plays absolutely fabulous. Will put some pics up later when I get home. Will probably be selling my Roland Cube 30 bass amp along with it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    At the very low end you'll do better with something simple, and not active. You get better bang for your buck quality-wise with the woodwork and hardware if you're not paying for an active preamp as well. Cheap actives are usually crap, and if recording is the primary purpose they can be noisy enough to be a problem.

If you buy a simple P or P/J-style bass (regardless of shape - it's the electrics I'm talking about) you can also upgrade the electronics far more easily than you can with actives - all you need are pickups, pots and wire.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10571
    tFB Trader
    I've got a soft spot for the Peavey Milestone bass. Lovely slim Jazz Bass style neck ... okay so a ply body on the cheapest ... but they sound and play really nice. I picked up my last one second hand on the flea bay for seventy quid ... the neck is miles better than it should be.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 799
    edited August 2013
    Cheeky spam-a-lam-a-ding-dong - see my post in the classifieds for the details of the TRB4-II I'm selling...
  • A hofner new for less than £130.... http://www.thomann.de/gb/hoefner_galaxie_hctglxbo.htm
    thanks for the tips guys....
    we'll be going to a shop Saturday to look around and try some out..
    we're not ready to buy just yet, just doing the research and getting an idea of the sort of models to look for..
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Clarky said:

actually... being an Ibanez player mself I don't know why they never occured to me.

personally I like the modern basses too.. long-horn Strat body types....

but it's really up to him..

I'll point him at a few in a shop and get him to try them.. see what he thinks..

if I had a bass of my own I think it'd be a 5-string Stingray

Have a look at Vintage then, their Stingray-alikes are superb. Should he want something a little more 'trad', the Squier VM/CV basses are also excellent. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Jalapeno said:
    Look on Basschat classifieds - always stuff moving there,

<stagey cough>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Look on Basschat classifieds - always stuff moving there,

<stagey cough>
    <cough> #2. Plenty of nice stuff over there.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...

we tried a few basses at the weekend..

he really liked the Fender Jazz

I really liked the Yamaha [can't remember what model]

tried the Ibe SRX too... I liked that a lot..

the neck felt nice and quick..

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    edited August 2013
    As a guitarist who very occasionally plays bass (i.e. I have my second bass gig of the year this Saturday..and it'll probably be the last one this year too), I use a Yamaha RBX 260 that is on long-term loan from my brother's ex bandmate..who possibly has no idea I have it..oops...

Anyways, I know nothing about it's price or origin other than I don't think it is a particularly expensive instrument (the owner's a drummer, so probably wanted one for similar reasons as your lad).

It feels small, but in a good way - easy for a novice to find their way around. Sounds very good plugged in and plays very well indeed.
    Definitely worth a look if you get chance (athough, as i say, no idea of the price range nor even if they still make them!)

• Yamaha. The BB series are ridiculously good value. My BB414 cost me £100, its easily the equal of a standard Fender. 

Vintage also make some good fender style copies and just like their 6 string cousins there are some good Squier basses now too.

Personally, though, I'd always say Yamaha. I have two basses and they're both Yammies...