Explorer NGD ;)

What's Hot

Tokai Explorer - unsure if it's an EX55 etc; could be an older one. I liked the colour more than anything else, and luckily it plays and sounds lovely. As much power as a Les Paul, but in a slightly different way that's hard to put my finger on.

Only downside is a previous owner added the 'G' logo to the headstock when it clearly ain't a G. One of my pet hates, that. It's been set beneath the finish too, so I'm less inclined to try and remove it for fear of butchering the finish.

Maybe I'll add 'NOT A' next to it ;)
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited August 2015
    Nice. I had one of those. Installed a pair of Seymours in it (59 and Custom Custom) and it was awesome, even if it did look mildly ridiculous on my 5'6" on a good day frame. Usually prompted one of my bandmates at the time to say "cool, brought your Dad's guitar again then".
    Nice buy my man, enjoy :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Nunogilberto have you checked to see what those pickups are. I may be wrong but I've never seen a Tokai Exalike with zebras. Just wondering if it's had an upgrade.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Excellent.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• @cbilly22 - it might have - I haven't checked them yet as such. I wondered the same thing when I first saw it.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Fack me that's cool.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    ooooooh!  nice!
    @cbilly22 - it might have - I haven't checked them yet as such. I wondered the same thing when I first saw it.
    It's only a thought. Pretty sure all the Korean and Chinese made stuff had the covered MK4 pickups in them and the Japanese stuff usually carried the PAF MK2s. I've seen a couple of Korean LPalikes with zebras but not an EX. Anyway, it doesn't really matter as long as it sounds good and I'm sure it does...all that wood always helps the tone I feel, I like Explorer style guitars a lot, my last one was a Dean 79 which was great fun to offend people with at blues nights :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @cbilly22 - Fancy a trip down memory lane? Swapsies for your PAC611?

;) ;) ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nunogilberto;763220" said:
    @cbilly22 - Fancy a trip down memory lane? Swapsies for your PAC611?

;) ;) ;)
    Ha, I should have seen that coming. I'm downsizing the collection as much as I'd like to rock another Explorer so I'll pass.
  • @cbilly22 - Lol, no worries - worth a try ;) 
  • Nice :D @cbilly22 reminded me of going to see Def Leppard in their earlier days with Pete Willis on guitar, tiny man who always played an explorer and it had that dad's guitar thing going on. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f1/c9/b5/f1c9b514c811a30d0edc31e652fe851c.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWeary;763286" said:
    Nice :D @cbilly22 reminded me of going to see Def Leppard in their earlier days with Pete Willis on guitar, tiny man who always played an explorer and it had that dad's guitar thing going on.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f1/c9/b5/f1c9b514c811a30d0edc31e652fe851c.jpg
    Yep that looks familiar