Squier Simon Neil Stratocaster

So as some of you might know, I've been on the look out for a Fiesta Red strat and I did get a second hand classic series one from Guitar Guitar that turned out to be a bit of a pig so that's going back.

I was thinking of going for a brand new 50's series strat but I wondered what people's opinions were of the Squier Simon Neil strat?

I don't care for Biffy Clyro in the slightest so I don't care if it sounds like them or not and I did a quick forum search for under "Simon Neil stratocaster" and saw a lot of For Sale/Sold listings but no real reviews of them.

So, current/previous owners, some good points and bad points about them?  Would I just be better buying a classic series strat instead?

Ta.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have one. I love it. I actually bought it for the same reason as you.. I was looking for a Fiesta Red Classic Vibe. I saw this one used at a guitar shop, tried it for a few minutes and took it with me. It feels great and sounds great. Basically a 60s CV with some minor modifications. I think the pickups are quite special in that they have mixed alnico magnets or something like that. In any case, they sound amazing to my ears.

Mind that while it is a Fiesta Red color, it's slightly different from others Fiesta Red strats. I think it's a bit more orange/pink? I couldn't distinguish it, so I bought it. I also love the combination with rosewood fretboard.

By the way, I had no idea who Simon Neil was. In fact, I only realized it was a signature model after a few days of buying it.

I don't want to compare it with a classic series, since I believe those are quite more expensive. But this is truly a great guitar. For the money, you won't get anything better.
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115

I've had a Simon Neil for 2 years now and its excellent.

Agree with everything Dedekind says above.

You wont regret getting one and it will sound great.

Go for it.

• Cannot comment on the guitar, or the band, but kudos to the bloke who wanted to put out an affordable signature guitar that looked and played well and had an excellent build quality/spec.

A lot of people wouldn't do that.

• rossirossi Frets: 1707
    I had one and loved it .I was ill without knowing it  at the time and found it a bit heavy which it probably wasnt ..I did sell it but ended a few years later  with a Classic Vibe 60th strat  which is the same but different  and GOLD .....
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    The age old Fiesta Red argument! Red, Pink, Orange?  Who really knows. 

But these are great guitars.  I try not to get involved in threads like this as I feel a bit awkward singing the praises of the stuff I sell but these really are good value. I find them more playable than the Classic Series from Mexico but that's partly due to me not getting on with the vintage radius! 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• I've had em all , classic series , classic player to USA , stick a quality bridge on it and proper set up = Awesome guitar.

The pickups are so cool and it plays err like a well known slippery thing
  • Agree with all of the above. I got mine through this very forum and have been very, very happy with it. A lot of guitar for not a lot of money and pop up second hand quite often.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • Thanks for the input all!

What's the neck profile like?  Are they thin or fat or medium?