Tweeters in Bass Cabs. Why?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24287
    strtdv said:
    Paul_C said:

The Markbass is one of the worst offenders for the tweeters adding hiss. It's fine on the extension cabs as you can dial in the amount of tweeter you want, but on the combo you're better off disconnecting the whole crossover circuit and just running the amp into the speaker.

The "H" model combos are much better as they use a different tweeter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    I just wouldn't buy a MarkBass combo, having found this out. Which is fine, because their heads and cabs are great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    ICBM said:
    I just wouldn't buy a MarkBass combo, having found this out. Which is fine, because their heads and cabs are great.
    I wouldn't let it put me off. They don't need the tweeter at all IMO and disconnecting the crossover is very straightforward.
    They still make the best compact combos around
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    strtdv said:
    I wouldn't let it put me off. They don't need the tweeter at all IMO and disconnecting the crossover is very straightforward.
    They still make the best compact combos around
    No, I have discovered that I like a controllable tweeter. Anything else simply doesn't do the job, so there is no point in considering it - not when the heads are so portable that the difference between a combo and a cab with the head in a separate bag is negligible.

It's more that I don't understand why they do it like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24287
    Slightly off topic, but my new Tecamp Puma blows away the MB heads. Awesome thing.
    Slightly off topic, but my new Tecamp Puma blows away the MB heads. Awesome thing.
    I tried one of those - I was replacing the power switch, which had broken - and didn't like it at all. Much prefer the Mark stuff.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

I hate the Mark stuff. If you have to have small stuff then the Phil Jones stuff is better, I think  the Mark Bass kit just sounds like a ghetto blaster with a bass guitar plugged into it

No substitute for size when it comes to bass I spose. Some of the guys I work with have just abandoned the whole small bass rig thing now and just DI into the PA. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk