More from the the Oil City research dpt ;-)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    What about a "rails" type jazz bass pickup?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10463
    tFB Trader
    Jeremiah said:
    What about a "rails" type jazz bass pickup?
    I would have to try and get custom flatwork and rails made for that. Not out of the realms of possibility, but an expensive job, and I'm not sure how the bass response would work.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    OK, that's pretty much what I expected as you almost never see j-bass pickups like this...

Still potentially interested in the lower/medium output Strat sized ones for my 12-string.
    tFB Trader
    Jeremiah said:
    OK, that's pretty much what I expected as you almost never see j-bass pickups like this...

Still potentially interested in the lower/medium output Strat sized ones for my 12-string.
    Happy to chat about what you want, message me ... getting a set in a 12 string would be interesting
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• JadenJaden Frets: 251
    YAAAAASSSS !
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

tFB Trader
    Jaden said:
    YAAAAASSSS !
    All suggestions welcome 
    :-)

• lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    Is there a way to make a hotrail and case it so it looks like a regular single coil.. Like with dummy magnets.. I love the sound of a hotrail but like a traditional look. Probably a dumbass question Ash.
    tFB Trader

lamf68 said:
    Is there a way to make a hotrail and case it so it looks like a regular single coil.. Like with dummy magnets.. I love the sound of a hotrail but like a traditional look. Probably a dumbass question Ash.
    One of the problems with that is that in order to get enough wire on the twin, rather tiny bobbins, they have to be made the full size of a pickup plus cover. This leaves no room to 'case' the sides certainly. Not sure if some sort of 'stick on' top would be possible ... but the 'dummy poles' would have to be non ferrous so they didn't mess with the magnetic fields, and super thin to allow the strings close enough to the rails underneath. 
    If you want a traditional look, the only real silent alternative is a stack or a split ... both of which have issues as far as tone is concerned.

• I'm looking forward to hearing some clips of the tele model, one may well end up on my current build. :)