SOLO of the Month #7 - Chat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I was using a Focusrite iTrack Solo into my iPad, but I'm moving over to using the Focusrite into Ableton on my laptop. I would try miking my amp, but I don't have a mic :)

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ChrisRG I have a basic USB audio interface on my mac, I use either Reaper or Logic to record the solo. Then I load in the backing to track 1 and load up S-gear (VST from Scuffham amps) into track 2. Guitar is straight into the desk.

I'm really pleased that for both my previous entries people commented on the nice tone. I think S-gear is phenomenal and not having to record an amp is sooooo much easier.

For this one I made a slight departure as I stuck a compressor before the interface.

Generally I then loop the backing and just noodle over it until I get an idea, then record as quickly as possible, i am using these tracks to help me develop structured improvised solos I guess and having styles I don't normally choose has been a real challenge. 
  • @hobbio, @Teetonetal useful info thanks very much.  I'm still trying to work out what I need to buy/upgrade/learn how to use properly.  Reaper looks great because of the price vs features.  I like the interface of Studio One 3 but it needs the Pro version (or a feature upgrade for Artist) to get VST support.  I'm happy to buy Artist but am trying to keep a lid on costs!

I'm using this to get me playing and learning the dark arts of recording!!  Guess it's working so far :)
  • rashrash Frets: 38
    ChrisRG said:

Out of interest, how do people record their solos?  DI into an interface/DAW? Mic'd up amps?  For me, it was DI into an old mbox 2 mini and then into Studio One 3 (the free one at the moment).
    I use a zoom G5 running via usb into my pc, recording using sonar.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    ChrisRG said:
    Out of interest, how do people record their solos?  DI into an interface/DAW? Mic'd up amps?  For me, it was DI into an old mbox 2 mini and then into Studio One 3 (the free one at the moment).
    I use my Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister's RedBox/XLR output into a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I'm really still learning about recording: I used Audacity to start with, then the version of Ableton that came with the Focusrite. This time I used Reaper for the first time. I like Ableton but the upgrade to the "Standard" edition from the free one is just too much money for me. Reaper looks all right so far. Effects are a mixture of pedals into the amp and VST plugins, depending on what I'm trying to achieve.

Like @Teetonetal I am also a little bit chuffed that people have been nice enough to comment favourably on the tone achieved - I really feel like I've only just started dabbling my feet into the shallow waters of this stuff! :-)
  • Thanks for your replies @rash and @markv.  I'm probably going to get G3 to give me a few effects to play with so I'll see what that sounds like as an interface.  The Red Box solution looks good.  That would enable me to use my Blackstar at neighbour friendly volumes.  I tried using the emulated out but I didn't think it sounded that great.

Apologies, I've turned this thread into a "help Chris not be such a numpty" but I really appreciate all the info.  Thanks all.
  • Well - @ChrisRG that, like all the others is pretty damned awesome.

Seriously good stuff this month!
  • entry closes today
    Old Is Gold
  • entry closed
    Old Is Gold
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    @Antique_Guitars - are we having a vote? I fancy my chances of making the top 4 this month!
  • Oh shit I completely thought I had put the voting up bullocks will do it when I get home eork has been insane and I'm not think right at the moment
    Old Is Gold