Quick EBay Advice

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8551
edited September 2015 in Guitar
I've sold a guitar on eBay. Buyer has asked to send it to his mates address as he is on holiday for a week.

I have received the money through PayPal.

Is this a reasonable request or could it backfire?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    edited September 2015
    Can he not wait a week?  Has your conversation been via eBay message box?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6232
    edited September 2015 tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    I've sold a guitar on eBay. Buyer has asked to send it to his mates address as he is on holiday for a week.

Unless that is an address in his paypal approved list, it could definitely backfire. id just explain to him that neither of you are covered if you ship it to a non approved address. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As a rule only ship to a buyers registered address.

Any of these "send it to a friend, family member etc" could be scams.....but of course not everyone is a scammer and it could be genuine....but it's a risk.

Any other concerns over the transaction?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8551
    No other concerns, but I was reluctant if not an approved PayPal address as has been said, I believe this doesn't provide protection.
    He has given me both him and his mates mobile number
  • Risky. I did do that once a few years ago as the bloke sold me a very convincing story about not wanting his missus to find out. However, with the recent changes in Ts&Cs in favour of the buyer I wouldn't do it now. What do eBay's terms say about it?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5300
    I wouldnt do it...if hes on holiday he aint going to miss it....verified address only to get protection
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I wouldn't do it.

Have you checked what Paypal say?  I suspect that they'll tell you only to send to the registered address.  I think what might happen is, he could say, he never received it then raise a Paypal dispute and then you'll have to say that you sent it to a 'mate'?  I think you would be on very dodgy ground then.

What good is a mobile number?  People give out sim cards on street corners these days, I don't there'll be much to go off if it all did go pear shaped.

If it were me, I would politely say that I would be happy to hold the guitar till he got back and then post it to the registered address.  If he didn't agree then I would probably cancel the whole thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72767
    dindude said:

Yes, it could backfire. You must *only* send it to the registered Paypal address, via a signed-for trackable courier service, or you leave yourself open to a "non-delivery" chargeback.

Wait until he is back from holiday and then send it to his proper address.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Isn't that a bit like the way Drew got stung?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Only to the registered address. Ever. No exceptions.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn't risk it myself. Too many scams going on unfortunately. If he wants it delivered to his mates he might be able to register that address on his paypal account. Then you're covered as long as it's on there.
    Cheers all, just cemented what I thought. I actually think the buyer is genuine but have explained the protection element so hopefully he understands.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    dindude;767844" said:
    Cheers all, just cemented what I thought. I actually think the buyer is genuine but have explained the protection element so hopefully he understands.
    Ask him what day and times he's back and you will post it so he gets it the first working day he is home.
  • We've all seen what can happen with a package spending 24hrs in a warehouse/van. 

For the 7 days it would be housed at his mate's place, the responsibility for its condition would effectively still be yours.

And to what end? He can't play the thing from Torremolinos. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom