Neck to body fit question.......

siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
edited September 2015 in Guitar
re my EVH Frankenstein guitar build project....i'm not doing the build but getting all the bits together to send off to the man who is/can!

But my Q is re the body and neck - they fit together ie the neck pocket fits nice n snug, however the necks fretboard is rather high above the body.....I've spoken briefly to the guy that's gonna do the build/assembly/paint job for me and he says it shouldn't be a problem...but i'd like to understand in my own mind how/why ? I'll try n get a pic up showing what I mean...But I've not sent the stuff down to the guy yet so he hasn't made it cast iron it will be alright...only that he doesn't anticipate it being a problem ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited September 2015
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Doesn't look too bad. Remember a lot of these builds will have a pickguard which takes up a bit of room under the fretboard overhang. Have you a US Fender anywhere you could compare it to?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72768
    Is it going to have a Floyd? If so that's ideal.

If it's going to have a Strat-type bridge you will need to deepen the neck pocket, that's too big a height difference to correct by shimming or bridge adjustment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited September 2015
    yeah its gonna be a Schaller Floyd - if you click on the pic and click next and next again you should see the body neck and Floyd all together....

won't have a full pickguard - being a franky alike (half pickguard) stripy job albeit the Kramer banana headstock...and i'll have 2 or possibly 3 working pickups in it instead of 1 humbucker and a dummy....I can't see the point of wasting the routed spaces and not using them. Also will have a much tidier more fitted route for the full sized bucker in the bridge position...and a single coil sized one/two in the remanding slots....
  • It doesn't look too bad to me especially without the finish or the scratch plate. There needs to be a gap between the overhang and the body to accommodate the thickness of the finish + scratch plate.

As long as the neck angle is ok it shouldn't cause any problems.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72768
    That should be perfect then! The usual problem is the other way round - you have to drastically shim the neck to get a Floyd to fit properly on a Strat without recessing it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sounds like I can rest and sleep easy then! :) Thanks!