PICS on now lads...I always 'got it', but now I really 'get it'

What's Hot
jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
edited December 2013 in Making & Modding
Picked up a custom order build from a local luthier last weekend, John Gill of JXG Guitars. Bit of a present to meself to offset the woes of being married to a fucking lunatic, with 3 children sharing her tendencies. Love them all mind you.

I've always, near enough, had top end'ish guitars, and have nearly always been more than 'appy with them, Still am by and large. I had until recently a Gibby 2007 1957 LP Junior Reissue, and absoutely loved it. Bare, basic, honked, screamed, twatted and popped all over the place. A brilliant 'there you go that's all you need' workhorse gigging machine. So much so the CS Les Paul Reissue, the CS Esquire, the Gretsch, all fell by the wayside. 

Then I thought to meself, "Bollocks", and I recently sold it. It happily now resides in Belgium with a very happy gigging musician. 

So I considered a proper vintage Gibson LP Jnr TV Yellow DC. But i) rare as hen's teeth over here ii) the wife would stab me at that sort of money. So phoned John.

He made me a 1958 spec' Les Paul Junior Double Cut TV Yella. Old growth mahogany, braz board (cause he's got some left), big neck but properly profiled (he's had extensive experience with '50's Juniors I've been informed by a few folk and v knowledgeable in this area), tonepros chooners,Pigtail hardware including a dead sexy ridged wrap around that intonates superbly, Duncan Antiquity P90 (for now), proper glue, proper paint, and yes, cold aged (be silly not to if you're a fan), and at my request, taller stainless steel frets. it is lush.

And Jesus Christ on a Stick, it just screams/howls/honks/bites/rings like nowt else. Now I 'get it'. It's leagues above the Gibby Reissue in all aspects. And may I add for less than Gibson's MRP for a factory model. It's without a doubt the best guitar I have ever thrashed. Our bassist Danger Dave, he's a fucking liability to himself, amazed he's still alive to be honest (he's a local government accountant too, you'd think they'd be all safe and that, who'da thought?) has a lot more band experience than me, and has had a lot more guitars thought his hands than me. Also plays guitar in another local band. He had a play on it last week and stated "Mate, I've played a LOT of guitars, but I have never played anything like this...." So it's not just me.

Gave it a good hiding at rehearsal this evening again, and my word, just outstanding. Makes me sound half decent. Luthiers. Worth every pound. I may be tapping John for a single cut '57 replica (ala Miserneil) next. It's just that good. If you're pondering a build from a luthier in the way the manufacturers don't make them now, just do it. I'm the happiest bloke in my street   ;)
"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Or maybe another Jnr DC in aged cherry. Hmmm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

You're a very lucky man.  John builds wonderful guitars.  I saw it at various stages of build, but not finished as I haven't been down to JXG's for a while.  So c'mon ... without photos it doesn't exist! ...... :)

I will, but I'm going to live with it for a while first. Can't put it down when at home, seems to be irritating the Mrs.

Gigging it next week. Can not wait.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12685
    Yus please - pictures would be lovely!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Photos are needed here. Totaly agree on small shop gear. 
  • Yep - got to agree with this. I'm firmly in Jaden's camp when it comes to guitars now - I love my Series 2 so much that even the Washburn N4 doesn't get played much at all these days.

It really is simply a case of the extra attention to detail you get, coupled with the fact that small luthiers tend to be a lot pickier about components and materials. For example, until I visited Jaden's workshop, I never realised how big a difference body and fretboard wood make to the tone, feel and overall character of an instrument.
    <space for hire>
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    You cant go through all that and then leave us without visuals ....
    Flown the nest .
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've not put it down since I got it, and had it at rehearsals thrice. I'm gigging it this Friday to give it the 'full thrash', and will stick some photys up this weekend.

Three times in a row, at half time at rehearsal when me and the singer go for a ciggy and a cuppa, the bassist has said "Can I have another go at it mate?". It's pretty safe to say he's giving it serious thought.   ;)

One pickup guitar, made properly with the proper stuff. Does the lot.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24483
    It's great to hear about someone who is thrilled to bits with something.  Nice one dude ! 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's great to hear about someone who is thrilled to bits with something.  Nice one dude ! 
    It sure is.

Pics, please :)

Yeah I will lads, have fully intended to, I've just been rushed off my tits this past coupla weeks. 

Was even more impressed when I've gigged it. 
    I'm looking forward to seeing the 'ageing' on the finish, in particular.

I'd love a Junior or a Double Cut in TV Yellow but the new finishes just don't look right.

What was the build time like?

edited November 2013
    Aw fuck, it was a bastard eternity mate. In fairness, none of it was John's fault. He had a fire at his workshop and had to move premises, and cause I'm canny, I told him just to take his time. All being well though he reckons 12 weeks.

He also runs off 3 payments if that helps people, which is canny of him. 1 as a deposit, 1 a bit later, and one near the end. Obv any specific bits you want on it hardware wise is no problem, nor are any specific build requirements.

Colour wise, it's not a banana yella, more of a mid-mustard, certainly not the God awful anaemic yellow Gibson throws the VOS's out in.

And it was cheaper than a Gibson reissue. No brainer really.

The '57 VOS single cut I had was very good, but this thing is in a different league altogether. I'm certainly not one for waxing lyrically, but you can feel the fucking thing really vibrating when you play it, it's as loud as buggery unplugged, and just slays humbuckered Les Paul's live.

I will be getting another build off John, either an SG Junior rep, or a Futura build (same as the Explorer but smaller body).
    Emp_Fab said:

Cheers dude!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3011
    pics, pics, pics, pics.....
    edited November 2013
    Mid-mustard? No, you're not explaining it well at all, mate. I'll need a pic or two ;)

12 weeks is impressive, it's do-able! The payment plan is a nice idea, I know of some other luthiers with similar ones.

I have a Tele style guitar being built at the moment & I hope to get something Les Paul shaped later next year, & neither of them will have a Fender or a Gibson logo.

@DrBob coming chap, be up by Sun if not sooner (our 2 yr old getting more teeth thru, pests, screaming the bloody house down when he's supposed to be asleep)

@breadfan I chose to have the logo on, appreciate those who don't and why. But it's stamped and dated for build and has a personalised serial so wouldn't fool anyone. Bought it to keep and play, so one of the three kids will inherit it anyway. Although both me and John appreciate there are some unscrupulous bastards out there who will seek to fool punters out of their cash. John's done work for me before so we know each other enough to be comfortable with it.

I'm just a whore   ;)
    Although I did see one on youtube where the client had just the 'G' from the logo centred on the headstock face, which was actually really nice, looked the part.
    I didn't mean to go down that road. I just meant that neither will be made by Gibson or Fender. I should have just said that! 

jd0272 said:
    Although I did see one on youtube where the client had just the 'G' from the logo centred on the headstock face, which was actually really nice, looked the part.
    Would you have a link saved for that, by any chance?