PRS Trem setup

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    edited September 2015
    ^ You don't need to slacken the strings when adjusting the spring claw.

You need to remove the back plate, plug the guitar into a tuner and (with it in the playing position) check its in tune. If the bridge is too high at the back, slightly tighten the springs; if it's too low, slacken them off. After each adjustment, retune to concert pitch and always check progress with the guitar in the playing position.

You may need to tweak the intonation when you've finished adjusting the springs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    That's correct. You don't need to do anything other than adjust the screws - if the bridge is too low at the back, try loosening them by half a turn each at first, retune and see where it is now. Keep the claw straight relative to the end of the cavity.

You certainly don't need to detune the strings and it's fairly unlikely you will need to adjust the intonation unless the change of angle is really huge.

The ideal angle is probably *slightly* further forward than PRS set them, in my opinion - not quite parallel to the body, just very slightly up at the back so the bridge is directly aligned with the strings. That seems to produce the best feel and return to pitch, although there is very little physics as to why that should be so...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    Ok, I'll try loosening the spring claw first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2015
    Ok, took the back plate off, how do I do this? 

Do I just start turning the two screws anti clockwise? quarter turn at a time? 

• ^ That looks like more than quarter of a turn's worth of adjustment is required.

But yes - turn the screws anti-clockwise and keep retuning, until the bridge is in the right position.
    Done and wisdom to you all.  :)

Trem is now level, tuned it up and intonation is also spot on. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Good news :)       I love the PRS trem,  they work and feel just right imo.