Drum mics - educate me

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I don't think it sounded like the black album lol.

Is that a bad thing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415

Don't take too much notice of the position on the SDC's at the point the photo's taken as the mic's are literally put round the kit and line checked while the drummers warming up. Once I've patched into the desk and I know the drummers got everything where he want's it and isn't going to move anything I start to measure out, then we listen then we move things and listen again. The recorder man method has worked out very well for me in terms of keeping the kick and snare dead centre and in phase but I'm not against movement. The one behind the drummer facing spot down on the snare tends to stay the same but I experiment with the position on the 2nd mic, keeping the distance to kick and snr the same but very the position around the kit. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited September 2015
    @deijavoo Ha, not at all, and I don't like Metallica, but that is a classic drum sound.
    How about back in black? ever listened how awesome the drums sound on there? These albums do sound amazing in context of their Genre, and that's all you need to achieve anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415

I like the BiB drums but the last few years I've been much more interested in more organic drum sounds, Radio Head's The Bends, KOL's Because of the times ... that kinda thing
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    @deijavoo Ha, not at all, and I don't like Metallica, but that is a classic drum sound.
    Very true. Have a wisdom man.

Danny1969 said:

I like the BiB drums but the last few years I've been much more interested in more organic drum sounds, Radio Head's The Bends, KOL's Because of the times ... that kinda thing
    To me, if you'd asked a year ago it was Deftones White Pony sound, that's all I wanted, but now I'm feeling the more natural thing too. Not sure I can pin point it though on a specific sound. Just a variety of sounds which I guess is better to avoid blatant plagiarism etc.....
  • Danny1969;779879" said:
    Because of the times is my favourite KOL record. Ethan Johns did that IIRC.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    If the room is good, I really like getting the mics down at knee height - maybe 1.5 meters in front of the kit, and either a spaced pair if you're brave or XY if not. That tends to give more of the resonant heads, less close attack, more boom from the toms and kick and also a bit more snap/ a more balanced sound from the snare. It also, I've found, makes the drums sound like they're a bit further back in the mix. Probably better for big rolling rock grooves than something more intimate, complex or heavy where you'd probably want more attack...
  • Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    Not that particular article but yeah I have looked into it. Cheers man.

Although I have some mics at my disposal I keep looking at new ones. 

Any thoughts on the SE range?  Namely the se5s for oh, and I was thinking of getting and using a second Rode NT1a as room mics. You can guess by models I'm working to a certain budget but all advice is very welcome. 

I also have some Audix d6, d4 and d2s along with some sm57s, 58s an se x1 and I want to get a hold of a e906 for guitar parts too. 
    A Beyer m201 is wanted too.
    By the way, I did some tracking, it went surprisingly well mainly thanks to this thread as much as my X32 thread. Well, when the results are finished I'll let you judge whether I did a decent job or not.

Anyways, thanks again all.
    Here is some of the results.....finally.

Thank you all again.