Reaper/recording idiots guide required

What's Hot
Hi all,

Right - first off I am new to all this recording lark - have dabbled in the past, but that was largely on an old Tascam 4 track cassette machine when at school!

Having been inspired by the challenges on the Making Music section of this very board - and given the fact that I am not playing in a band of any sorts at present I thought I would try to give solo recording another shot. 

As such I have just downloaded Reaper and had a click about (looks better than my old 4 track!) I have even managed to download a backing track for the Solo of the Month challenge from SoundCloud and put it into Reaper (not bad for 20 mins work on a Sat morning!)

However - I am now stuck... I have no idea how to connect my guitar to my PC to get a sound. 

I have a pretty basic set up: Guitar - pedal board - amp (blackstar HT5). I tried running the emulated output from the HT5 into a cheap little Tascam iXZ interface thing I have, then running that into the PC - but I can't get a sound! Not sure if this is an appropriate interface (is it just for ios devices?) -  or is there some other issue that immediately jumps out at people as a problem?

What is the best way of getting connected in a straightforward (and preferably cost effective) manner. At present I am not too fussed on getting the 'best' sound quality (I am sure that will change) - any (vaguely guitar like) sound would do!

Help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Chris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    edited September 2015

Hi Chris, you really need an Audio Interface but anything remotely useful is going to set you back 70 quid or more. If you CAN/will spend that, look at the Alesis iO2* (£70ish) or better, the Steinberg UR22 at about £100.

Strapped atmo? Ok, you need a jack to jack lead (guitar) and a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone adaptor. Take the EM out from the Five and, with the adaptor, plug it into the input jack on the computer. You will need to go into Windows sound menus and find "recording devices" and then find "levels" and crank it right back from 100% to around 5% or even less. You want a level in Reaper around mid scale reading -18 to -20 dB. Trust me, this is loud enough.

A bit more money, few pints at £30 is the Behringer UCA202. For this you will need jack to RCA phono cables.

I could help you more if someone could tell me how to post attachments here?

*Ooops! NOTHING to do with CrApple and in fact do not be seduced into iPhone recording, won't translate to PC easily.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you not getting any sound at all from your guitar, or are you getting the dry sound?

There's a good tutorial here:

The critical bit is to set the mix on your interface to 100% computer (so none of the dry signal is coming through), and to enable record monitoring.

However, if you don't spring for Amplitube, there's a good set of amp plugins here:

Just download the LePou Amp Sim Pack and put the .dll files in your Program Files\VstPlugins directory. Then go to Options -> Preferences -> Plugins -> VST, add the Program Files\VstPlugins directory to the VST Plugins Path field and click Re-Scan then OK.

Once you've done that, you can add the amp plugins in the same way he does with Amplitube.
    <space for hire>
  • Ahhhhh, wait...no, that interface is balls for PC recording. You need to get a USB interface, as ecc83 said above.
    <space for hire>
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    I have Reaper and use a very easy to set up USB interface with it.  This is a Line 6 TonePort GX.  Connects into the PC on a USB, then you just connect your guitar lead into the quarter inch jack.  Load the software for this - basic drivers and the Line 6 'AmpFarm' software, and you're good to go!

I don't know if this is current or not though.

Pro's:

1. Easy to set up and away you go!
    2. Has a built in visual tuner (software)
    3. Has IMHO very good guitar amp sims built in, plus effects
    4. Monitor out on headphones, along with Reaper tracks, I can't hear any latency!
    5. Handy rotary volume dial on front
    6. Small, so doesn't take up much space

Con's:

1. Only 1 input (quarter inch jack)
    2. Not sure if / how you record stuff other than guitar in...

I haven't had time to record anything in ages, but really need to find out how to get line in signal (if possible), otherwise may need to upgrade to something better.  Also, I'd really want an SPDIF input now, so may be looking to upgrade.  If anybody knows how I can record my line in sources, I'd appreciate any input!

I'm sure there is better available now, but this served me well, might be an option?

Good luck, and have fun!

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    richh said:
    I have Reaper and use a very easy to set up USB interface with it.  This is a Line 6 TonePort GX.  Connects into the PC on a USB, then you just connect your guitar lead into the quarter inch jack.  Load the software for this - basic drivers and the Line 6 'AmpFarm' software, and you're good to go!

I don't know if this is current or not though.

Pro's:

1. Easy to set up and away you go!
    2. Has a built in visual tuner (software)
    3. Has IMHO very good guitar amp sims built in, plus effects
    4. Monitor out on headphones, along with Reaper tracks, I can't hear any latency!
    5. Handy rotary volume dial on front
    6. Small, so doesn't take up much space

Con's:

1. Only 1 input (quarter inch jack)
    2. Not sure if / how you record stuff other than guitar in...

I haven't had time to record anything in ages, but really need to find out how to get line in signal (if possible), otherwise may need to upgrade to something better.  Also, I'd really want an SPDIF input now, so may be looking to upgrade.  If anybody knows how I can record my line in sources, I'd appreciate any input!

I'm sure there is better available now, but this served me well, might be an option?

Good luck, and have fun!

Richh, you have almost completely specified the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 interface.

Has all you need, two excellent mic amps/line in/high Z guitar ins. Two more balanced line inputs (4 tracks) MIDI and S/PDIF.

The drivers are made of stone and the latency lower than anything in its price range, £150 or a good deal above it. Comes with Cubase, Kontakt Player, Traktor LE2 and about 3G of downloadable samples.

Totally bus powered and sits on the palm of your hand.

Dave.

• Thanks very much guys - it is as I thought I need to spend money - always looking for a short cut though!

Looks like I will be needing an interface of some sort.

I will check out those that have been recommended (thanks) - ideally I wouldn't want to spend much more than £100, but could push it up a bit if needed.

I guess there is a choice between using a straight up interface to link with my current amp, and something like a Line 6 type thing which as built in amp sims and effects. I guess there are pros and cons to each - as always! 

Cheers

• I guess there is a choice between using a straight up interface to link with my current amp, and something like a Line 6 type thing which as built in amp sims and effects. I guess there are pros and cons to each - as always! 

Cheers
    I'd advise getting a "proper" interface - that way, when you do eventually branch out to recording stuff with mics (and other interesting signal paths), you've got the flexibility to do it justice.
    <space for hire>
  • Thanks-yes that does make sense, and I am happy enough with my pedal board and amp tones/effects so will try to get an interface to rweplicate that
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26637
    edited September 2015
    I can heartily recommend getting an interface *and* a dummy load for your amp. That means you can effectively take the speaker output of your amp down to line/instrument level, plug it into your interface and use cab impulses in Reaper; it's by far the best-sounding option you'll have, short of actually sticking a mic in front of a cab, and you get to use your exact setup with pedals and all.

RAT Amps do one for about £55, which is the one I use. It's marvellous.
    <space for hire>
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    Thanks for the info on upgrade options for my Toneport, @ecc83 the Kontact sounds spot on!  In which case I'd then be selling my Toneport, as I have a Kemper KPA which I really want to use for my recorded guitar sounds.

I've been too busy with work to do any recording for a long time, but plan to make the time as I really can't see getting into another live band at the moment.