ABBA - Does Your Mother Know? (Is that popular, do you cover it?)

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
It's been suggested as a floor filler for some Xmas parties and a NYE gig we have booked.....so does anyone else cover this and does it go down well?

I've never really got ABBA (but I can appreciate that it's well written/produced pop)....but this one isn't that familiar to me.

So is it a big well known track that'll go down great and I'm the one that's been missing out?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I'd have thought it was well known. But the lyrics might be a bit risky in these paedo-paranoid times.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes. Always seems to do well. Can't go wrong if your looking to get people dancing at a Christmas Party.

• Abba always does well at this sort of gig IME.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    mart said:
    I'd have thought it was well known. But the lyrics might be a bit risky in these paedo-paranoid times.
    Although if you actually listen to the lyrics, that's exactly what it's *not* about. The girl may be (possibly) underage, but the man is saying he's not interested. On the other hand, if paediatricians have their homes attacked you may be right…

I would definitely do it, it's a great song, pretty well-known and quite rocky for ABBA.

This is a great alternate version with a bit more guitar in it

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I wouldn't have thought it was the most obvious Abba song - The Leather Nun cover of Gimme Gimme Gimme FTW! \m/
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • As far as guitar bands doing Abba, have a listen to Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites, solo, The Yahoos and Homemade Sin) doing Dancing Queen:

• :(|)
  • Hmmm, both those covers are flipping awfull (in my opinion of course)!

I'll give it a go I reckon, maybe as a trade off against something I suggest. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    We do Mama Mia in a kind of rocked up way, it's not great but people love it 

I've always fancied Gimmee Gimee a man after midnight 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I did it  and gimme gimme and dancing queen at a dep gig a couple of weeks ago - they all filled the dance floor.   
  • That works really well @Danny1969
  • I've covered it and, yes, lots of people seem to know it and it goes down really well. The 40+ women go crazy for anything like that. Not sure if that's a good thing tho....
  • If my memory serves me right Ash did a rocked up cover version of this tract many years ago - sounded superb
  • David5150 said:
    If my memory serves me right Ash did a rocked up cover version of this tract many years ago - sounded superb
    Indeed they did:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    I've played it on and off at parties over the years and it can be a bit hit and miss, in my experience.
  • Well I'm going to learn it, but I don't think I really get the song.

After watching the "Mama Mia" cover in this thread that got stuck in my head instantly, but "Does Your Mother Know" seems pretty forgettable.

• We do it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    I would think it's a good choice for a pub band as it's well known and one of the only Abba songs with a rocky riff in it.

One of my old bands used to to a grunge style (quiet loud) version of SOS which went down really well.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Most abba goes down well at weddings parties etc. imho as long as it's a well known song. (Just add alcohol and good vibes= dance floor filler)

Usually helps if you have a keyboardist tho!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Aha! This might be shorter than the original but is a contender for Abba song with nicest electric guitar part Shirley ?