Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I need a plan for a Quiet PC for recording

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Snap said:
    my current setup is an i7 4790 running at 4GHz, and 32 GB RAM. Its acting up a bit when I use Omnisphere 2 in Sonar. I get a few audio dropouts as I increase the VST and FX load too. Nothing really bad, but it is something I have to account for in the more complex tracks.

I'm seriously considering spending quite a few quid on the new setup so all options are on the cards really.
    What audio interface are you using with this?
    Komplete Audio 6, on Asio4all drivers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11928
    Snap said:
    Snap said:
    my current setup is an i7 4790 running at 4GHz, and 32 GB RAM. Its acting up a bit when I use Omnisphere 2 in Sonar. I get a few audio dropouts as I increase the VST and FX load too. Nothing really bad, but it is something I have to account for in the more complex tracks.

I'm seriously considering spending quite a few quid on the new setup so all options are on the cards really.
    What audio interface are you using with this?
    Komplete Audio 6, on Asio4all drivers
    I've been having a few problems with my KA6 with Protools 12
    sometimes need to kill PT and restart using empty sessions before the transport will hook up to the KA6. The problem has been reported before

I've just ordered a Focusrite 18i20 though, so hopefully that problem will vanish
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22170
    @Snap I've kept the upgrade of my PC (FX6300 processor, 8GB, Windows 7) waiting for a long time and it's going to continue until the Ryzen chips bed in a bit. If I go for Kaby Lake or Ryzen, then it means upgrading to DDR4 memory and placing my trust in Windows 10, something I am very loathe to do when it comes to the former, as Windows 7 isn't supported by either and Microsoft are being arses about the whole thing. 

https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-blocking-windows-7-8-updates-amd-ryzen-intel-kaby-lake-cpu/

https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2017/03/windows-7-8-ryzen-kaby-lake-support/

For people wanting a Thunderbolt audio interface, the choice is simple: Intel. No Thunderbolt with AMD. 

In your case, I'd personally upgrade the audio interface now. Is RME an option for you? 

RME? Bit steep for home use, though I could find a space for one.

TBH, I am ready for a new PC, and maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a better interface as well.

cheers
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22170
    They're not cheap but something like the Babyface Pro will destroy the KA6 when it comes to driver quality and might solve some of your problems without having to upgrade completely.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    stop encouraging me!!

I've already got the gas itch. Thing is, I do need a new PC setup really. So, I was thinking of first having a look at an iconnect audio4+. They seem to get universally stellar reviews and I like the idea of being able to sync up my ipda (which has a load of synths on it).

hmm.......gas central