Tom Petty songs

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8714
This is the classic covers band dilemma. We're playing a wedding next year, and they've asked for some Tom Petty songs, particularly from the Full Fever Moon period. Now I'm not a follower of Tom Petty. I've spent part of this afternoon running through his material on YouTube. Apart from "Running Down a Dream" there's not much up tempo danceable stuff on that album. I suppose we could do "I Won't Back Down" and segue to Sam Smith.

Any Tom Petty connoisseurs who can point me in the right direction?
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd make sure I played something from that record, and then make sure I also played American Girl and Refugee. Once they've had some drinks they won't care :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Unless it's specifically for their first dance, do I Won't Back Down then carry on with your usual set.

The times we have been sent lists of songs the bride and groom want played or they have spent WEEKS putting together a playlist for their iPod during the sets (too tight to pay a DJ!) and, when it comes to the night, the Bride & Groom and the guests couldn't give a monkeys...they are too busy drinking and chatting to guests or dancing to your tried and tested "wedding floor filler set".

Don't Sweat it! :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • We do "Running Down a Dream" and it goes down great, also it's such a fun song to play and so easy to solo over.
  • Running, Won't Back and Free Falling are probably the known songs from that album. Not sure any of them are very danceable though. American Girl is good for the Silence of the Lambs fans in the crowd.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I do "Free Falling" - it's dead easy & is a good slow number
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You Wreck Me... Always great live
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    My sister got lucky and married a yuppy, took him for all he was worth .... sounds like an ideal wedding song to me. :)
  • Running Down a Dream is a real favourite and you can really wig out on the solo. The only other up-tempo one from that album is Zombie Zoo but not many people will know it as it wasn't a single.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Doing I Won't Back Down and seguing into and maybe back out of Stay With Me would be funny, and probably go down well.

Running Down A Dream would be the obvious one for a more uptempo choice though, and Free Falling for a slower one. I think Yer So Bad is quite well-known too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited September 2015
    Here Comes My Girl would never go amiss.

• ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Get your guitar synth out, set it to Sitar and play 'Don't Come Around Here No More'. Make it really indulgent and stare the bride in the eyes!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    All good suggestions.  I learned Free Falling in 5 minutes to back up a vocalist.  Piece of cake.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    We used to do 'Learning to Fly'. You can rock it up a bit and it's certainly danceable.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    One of my favourite Petty tunes - but wrong era and wonder if it's a good fit

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Running Down a Dream is a real favourite and you can really wig out on the solo. The only other up-tempo one from that album is Zombie Zoo but not many people will know it as it wasn't a single.
    And on that topic Mike Campbell is a monster player !

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    While we're at it - here's the 30th Anniversary concert in full !  It's ruddy marvellous.

Feedback
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited September 2015
    You can have a wow for that @Jalapeno, that version of Running Down a Dream was what we used when we did the song. It's bloody great for the soloing guitar player because you can just go for it. Less interesting as a rhythm guitarist though.
  • Feel a whole lot better! Gotta gets some Schwarz into the mix :) Belting tune :)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6079
    Does it have to be an uptemo number? If not, perhaps A Face In The Crowd. Slow dance number, v romantic.