Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rattle that Lock ??? What's your thoughts :-)

What's Hot

Comments

• Not thrilled with it either..just listened to it twice.. Loved oai though.id say ol davy's been listening to some 80's era Bowie.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9741
    Agree with ICBM. Better than On An Island, but frankly that isn't difficult. Much preferred the first two albums (even with the eighties production) - IMHO they have stronger material.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I'm going to give it a listen but taster hearing the title track I didn't rush out to buy. Unfortunately he's one of those people who seems like he needs to be pushed or under some sort of conflict (Waters) to produce anything really special, otherwise he just plods along
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• I'm not a Gilmour basher by any means, his tone is one that's immediately recognisable from a single note: I think that's quite rare...but his recent work leaves me contemplating his relevance to me personally. I've given this new work all the listening to it's getting, I think it's insipid. But it quite clearly has an audience, and I'm more than happy to be disagreed with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Incredibly dull
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10456
    It's a nice thing to have on in the garden on a sunny afternoon. I'm sat on my deck chair in the garden now listening to it The wife likes it and the dog also seems to be enjoying it ..... He's got calmer as the albums progressed through

I like it but I spose it's exactly what I was expecting I have a ticket so will enjoy it live next month as well
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10456
    The wall concert is on the big screen next week too in selected cinemas
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    edited September 2015
    6.5/10. 5AM is the best track, IMO. Great sonics throughout. Great playing of course, that goes without saying, but songs meander and lyrics are not always as clever as I'd prefer. On An Island was a more rewarding listen for me, personally. This might be a grower rather than a shower, so I'll keep it on the playlist. Much happier about this being number one than Lana Del Ray, though, the latter of which makes Rattle That Lock seem like Dark Side Of The Moon in comparison.
  • I wanted an album with another "sorrow" or such like in it but no.

OAI was dull though I do like the title track and I like in any tongue and tidy on this one but on the whole - terminally dull and yes the lyrics are A Level English literature student at best.

Much as I worship DG and he was the reason I picked up a guitar, Waters can do a cracking solo album with a hired gun on the guitar, Gilmour needs waters lyrics to set his glorious tone against.

The stuff he wrote with Pete Townshend on about face was pretty good, the stuff he's written with Yoko, sorry, Polly - sadly falls very short of the mark.

Still, as someone said, at least he's touring and that way we still get to hear sorrow and run like hell live - or I will do next Friday night
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    To be fair, Polly co-wrote the lyrics for 'High Hopes' and I f*cking love everything about that track. So she's perfectly capable... just feels like they didn't try as hard with RTL.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72662
    edited September 2015
    Whitecat said:

Much happier about this being number one than Lana Del Ray, though, the latter of which makes Rattle That Lock seem like Dark Side Of The Moon in comparison.
    I like Lana Del Rey a lot, although from her effort (or rather, lack of) at Glastonbury I wouldn't pay to see her live. Still much prefer either of her previous albums (haven't got the new one yet) to Gilmour's - sorry!

But LDR with Gilmour on guitar... that could be amazing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

Can't imagine how that would work.

Would they sing on each other's songs, like the Paul Simon and Sting tour? Or with Gilmour as a sideman? I think I've only ever heard him as a sideman to Macca ("No More Lonely Nights", Run Devil Run) and Roger Waters <ducks projectiles>, but I can't really see his style working on LDR's pretentious dull-core mumblings.

...actually, on reflection, I reckon he could get away with it. The Orb album he did had no interesting chord progressions on it and no discernable tunes beside what Gilmour brought to the table, but it was pretty good.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72662

Would they sing on each other's songs, like the Paul Simon and Sting tour? Or with Gilmour as a sideman?

I imagined it as him just being a sideman and bringing a bit more life to the arrangements. I like her songs but they can get a bit… samey.

I can't really see his style working on LDR's pretentious dull-core mumblings.
    Although, given what a lot of people seem to think of Roger's lyrics... ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I can't really see his style working on LDR's pretentious dull-core mumblings.
    Although, given what a lot of people seem to think of Roger's lyrics... ;)

Heh. I thought that as I was writing it.

People complain about Mrs Gilmour's "sixth form poetry" lyrics as if that was the last comparison you'd think of making when you heard "Dark Side Of The Moon".

I guess I find Waters' fake everyman character more palatable than LDR's fake hipster.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    english_bob;796467" said:
    ICBM said:

Would they sing on each other's songs, like the Paul Simon and Sting tour? Or with Gilmour as a sideman? I think I've only ever heard him as a sideman to Macca ("No More Lonely Nights", Run Devil Run) and Roger Waters , but I can't really see his style working on LDR's pretentious dull-core mumblings.

...actually, on reflection, I reckon he could get away with it. The Orb album he did had no interesting chord progressions on it and no discernable tunes beside what Gilmour brought to the table, but it was pretty good.
    Kate Bush, Roy Haper...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited October 2015
    ICBM said:

Would they sing on each other's songs, like the Paul Simon and Sting tour? Or with Gilmour as a sideman? I think I've only ever heard him as a sideman to Macca ("No More Lonely Nights", Run Devil Run) and Roger Waters <ducks projectiles>, but I can't really see his style working on LDR's pretentious dull-core mumblings.

He's played with Jools on an album and concerts .. sounded good. That's why he returned the favour on his new album and brought Jools on board for a track.

Video for a track ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Evilmags said:
    Kate Bush, Roy Haper...

Fretwired said:
    He's played with Jools on an album and concerts .. sounded good.
    I'm aware that he's worked with other people, Kate Bush in particular, but I've never liked her music so I've never really listened to his contributions to it.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
    I like Gilmour solos, but I don't necessarily like the song that it is wrapped up in. It a bit like gorging yourself on a big stodgy cake just to get the cherry in the middle.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thought that I should probably give it a go because of the hype. 

Streamed a couple of times... don't get it. I don't like Pink Floyd either, is that a fair indication that I probably wouldn't like this either?
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Listened to it a few times now - my conclusion is still the same - it's below par.

I understand DG wants to be a solo artist - but you probably need to have more to say than he obviously does these days. The good news is it's got him out playing again.

Funnily enough, I've just listened to his first solo album again. 'I Can't Breath Anymore' from it is an absolute stonker of a song.