Soldering advice!

What's Hot
dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
edited September 2015 in Making & Modding
I'm trying to rewire an old squier telecaster, using a brand new weller 40 watt iron. I tried to tin the tip - the solder just balls and rolls off. I'm obviously doing something stupid - I'd be really grateful if someone could tell me what :)

Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I`m no expert but I think a 15watt iron would suffice , that's what I use , maybe its too hot ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited September 2015
    Have you got a damp sponge?  The main reason solders balls up a rolls off is due to oxidisation on the tip.  Is the tip shiny or dull?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828
    when my sponge crumbled I started using damp kitchen towel, which works almost as well
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    edited September 2015

I have no sponge , would a Jaffa cake do  ?

Like I say I`m no expert. :P

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 10thumbs said:

That's sheer idiocy... who would waste a Jaffa cake?!
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you got a damp sponge?  The main reason solders balls up a rolls off is due to oxidisation on the tip.  Is the tip shiny or dull?

It was shiny when I started (as you'd expect for a new iron) but it didn't tin at all - the solder balled and ran off immediately. The tip does look pretty mucky now, yes (managed to disconnect the old wiring with it, but trying to put the new parts in didn't seem to work too well).

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

Try something like this...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tip-tinnercleaner-jg06g

You just poke the tip into the gunk, and it comes out clean and shiny.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'd let it cool and use some light sandpaper to remove the oxidisation reheat and then tin the tip.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    +1 sandpaper. Roughing it up helps. Sometimes I have to rough up pots too.

I blame modern lead free solder.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Thanks all. I'll get a stand with a built-in sponge tomorrow, give the tip a good clean & try again. If that doesn't work, I'll have a go with the tip tinner. Matt, I'd love to blame lead free solder (or anything apart from my own incompetence really...) but I'm using 60/40 with a flux core, which I thought is fairly halfwit-proof.

• Adam_MD said:
    I'd let it cool and use some light sandpaper to remove the oxidisation reheat and then tin the tip.

When you say 'light' - what sort of grit would you suggest, please? Is 400 about right?

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    dchwhite;795708" said:
    Adam_MD said:

When you say 'light' - what sort of grit would you suggest, please? Is 400 about right?
    Genuinely whatever I had lying around you really just want to remove the oxidisation so you can tin it. Then put a dab of solder on it everytime you finish and it'll keep your tip shiny and stop it oxidising.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31641
    Just reach for whatever is handy that you can scrape the tip's face with - Stanley knife, sidecutters, whatever.

Don't overthink it or start buying shit, you just need clean metal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol @p90fool I'm a lot better at buying stuff than doing stuff :) Will give it a go tmrw as now I have to work late, but thank you.

EDIT moved to modding section, where I should have placed it to start with...

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    10thumbs said:
    I`m no expert but I think a 15watt iron would suffice , that's what I use , maybe its too hot ?
    A more powerful iron doesn't necessarily get any hotter (although it can do). The temperature of the iron is (usually) set by some form of thermostat.

It does deliver heat to the work quicker, which in many circumstances reduces the chance of damaging components as the iron is in contact with the work for less time.

For soldering to pots I would not recommend using an iron less than 25W as a bare minimum using leaded solder, and a temperature controlled 45W iron with lead free.
  • jpfamps said:
    10thumbs said:
    I`m no expert but I think a 15watt iron would suffice , that's what I use , maybe its too hot ?
    A more powerful iron doesn't necessarily get any hotter (although it can do). The temperature of the iron is (usually) set by some form of thermostat.

It does deliver heat to the work quicker, which in many circumstances reduces the chance of damaging components as the iron is in contact with the work for less time.

For soldering to pots I would not recommend using an iron less than 25W as a bare minimum using leaded solder, and a temperature controlled 45W iron with lead free.
    Well I just learned something , told you I`m not an expert.
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    edited September 2015
    10thumbs said:

That's sheer idiocy... who would waste a Jaffa cake?!

BTW - I`d just like to take ths opportunity to scotch a scurrilous rumour ,being spread around by randomhandclaps , 
    that I`d waste a Jaffa Cake .....

... of course I`d still eat the blighter , I`m daft not stupid.

I`d spit out the little blobs of solder though , they could scratch on the way out.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

I would advise against any form of abrasive if you cut through the iron plating the tip is buggered. The "poke in" tip cleaner is the best bet.

Fine steel wool VERY carefully used will work but these days quality irons are supplied with a brass wool cleaner. Damp sponges crack the plating due to thermal shock this is especially so at Pbfree temperatures.

DRY kitchen paper is ok. Once clean make sure to tin the tip very well before you turn the iron off.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Thanks very much to everyone for all the advice. It's been a pig of a week at work, so I haven't had chance to have another go until today. Tried the sponge, and then the dish scourer side of the sponge (I probably should buy a proper stand and sponge really) but still the solder balled and ran off. I admitted defeat and swapped the tip for a pretinned tip that was supplied with the iron - and we're in business :) Some VERY out of practice soldering later (think it's been over a year since I last did some) & whilst it's crackly, we do have noise from the guitar into an amp :)

I will keep at it until the crackles go - but thank you all, very grateful :) Still uncertain how I messed up the brand new tip of a brand new weller iron just by applying solder, but at least there is progress!

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited October 2015
    If you can find any - Bakers Soldering Fluid.