problem drilling holes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    I'd love an old Meddings or some other British drill, but too pricey. Mine has the throat but needs a shameful rig to steady the quill, but it wasn't costly. But I was saying, badly :) , that with checks of the pillar drill it should be poss to make a decent guide block, and then use a hand drill on the body.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    This is a dumb question, but how do you position a guide block? I made one in the past but didn't know how to locate it - couldn't see through the hole well enough!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16750
    In the thread I linked to I used other drill bits or rod to position it, and double sided tape to hold it.

But we still don't know what bridge you are installing?
    Many thanks for All the great advice, particularly wez. The bridge is a tune-o-matic, and the guitar plan can be seen on my build thread, which I don't think I can link to as I'm on the iPad.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16750
    Ah right, I assume you have. A centreline and scale length line you are working to. Transfer those to the guide block/template

Mark the holes on the body, add the guide block using the centre and scale length lines for reference, use a torch to check the guideblock lines up with those marks on the body. Check and doublecheck, then drill
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader

With the guide I centre-pop where you want to drill, hold the guide above the surface and have the bit going through the hole. Locate and hold the drillbit in the pop divot, and lower the guide around the bit, which locates it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Corvus said:

With the guide I centre-pop where you want to drill, hold the guide above the surface and have the bit going through the hole. Locate and hold the drillbit in the pop divot, and lower the guide around the bit, which locates it.

Clever! Mr thicky here didn't think of that.