Really hard but very satisfying riff I'm learning

What's Hot
Started working on this last night - the intro riff, 20 seconds in. I'm getting there slowly but the first couple of bars in particular are really hard.

I love stuff with ringing open strings like that, and the progression and the rhythm just really chime with me as well. It's awesome.

Does anyone else like SikTh here? Anyone got some advice for how to learn this?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Big Sikth fan.  That is one of my favourite songs from that album too, and I also really like the riff you're talking about.

Are you learning it in the right tuning?  The intro riff has lots of open strings and IIRC has a dropped 6th string.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tenuous connection time.... our singer's brother's band did a track with Mikee Goodman on guest vocals. I quite like the first album but I'm not so much of a fan of the second 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    @guitarfishbay I'm playing it in drop Db, which seems to work fine!

@PolarityMan I'm the opposite - never got into The Trees Are Dead and Dried Out, but I love Death of a Dead Day.
  • Bucket said:

@PolarityMan I'm the opposite - never got into The Trees Are Dead and Dried Out, but I love Death of a Dead Day.
    Not even the cover of Tupelo? that's sweet.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Both albums are awesome. I think drop Db is correct from memory, a long time since I tried to play it
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Not that you should compare but I prefer Aliases. Pin is a total gent too.
    Videoed it earlier. It's going up tonight, on Instagram and my new music-specific Facebook page I created last night.
    Here is me doing some of it.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6166
    edited September 2015
    Blimey, that's a crackin' riff with some tricky timing. Kudos if you can nail it. I think I might have to check these guys out.

Edit.. looks like you have nailed it.. cool, there's some series finger stretching going on
    :D
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    equalsql said:
    Blimey, that's a crackin' riff with some tricky timing. Kudos if you can nail it. I think I might have to check these guys out.

Edit.. looks like you have nailed it.. cool, there's some series finger stretching going on
    :D
    Ta! Yeah the stretches weren't so hard for my massive fingers but the timing was a bitch. Not a walk in the park with all the open strings either. But yes - check SikTh out. The second album in particular is fantastic.

All the modern bands like Periphery, Tesseract etc etc owe their sound to SikTh more than just about anything else IMO.
    @equalsql This, from 5:20-5:30, is probably the best SikTh riff I can think of. I love it.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited October 2015
    Peep Show is probably the best (easiest to get in to) Sikth for new listeners song after Where Do We fall.

My favourite riff is the main intro riff to Sanguine Seas of Bigotry.  Love the groove.

• Good job on playing the riff dude
  • Man I've got The Trees Are Dead on right now...  Such a good album.

Sikth have the groove that so many Djent bands inspired by them miss out on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2015
    Sikth have the groove that so many Djent bands inspired by them miss out on.
    Totally. They're head and shoulders above every last one of them. Periphery are the only one who come close.

The intro riff here is great too. More of the ringing open-string stuff.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited October 2015
    I think it comes from being a band where every musician is absolutely awesome.

There's some  Sikth Studio footage on YouTube from when they recorded DOADD.

If you ever get the chance, definitely see them live.  They're touring this December.
    Just went and booked tickets for the London date. No fucking around :D