Fender Frontman 15G Head Conversion

I've had an idea. I'm planning to convert the Fender Frontoman 15G I got in a sale/deal into a head.

I'm thinking this could be fun.

I really need to create a speaker output - would it simply be a case of locating the speaker output and wiring it up to a jack? I'm thinking if there's space I can drill a hole in the back of the chassis and install it permanently there.

Please someone tell me if I'm crazy and / or going to blow myself up by doing this.

Ta in advance

Chris

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72531
    Not crazy. It's exactly as you say - run the speaker output wires to a jack. The output section is a single 'power IC', I think a TDA2030, so it will drive any impedance from 4 to 16 ohms with no problem, just with a bit less power into 8 or 16. 

Is it one with the metal chassis back visible, or a full-height 'wood' (particle-board) back with the power socket in it?

If the full-height back, there is no back to the chassis as such so you'll need to mount the speaker jack through the panel. You'll need to work on the mains connection as well. From memory, it's connected with push-connectors on the inside so you won't need to solder to it - just make absolutely sure that you note which wire goes where before you take it apart, make sure the new mounting hole is the right size, the screws are secure and tight, and never work on it with a cable plugged in - sounds obvious but you never know :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gubblegubble Frets: 1751

Thanks @ICBM that's some great advice there.

It's the full height back, however should be very easy to modify.

Going to give it a bash this evening and will report back with what should hopefully be a funky looking amplifier head.

If this goes well I've got as plan to do the same to a small and cheap digital modelling head too which will be perfect for my home practice solution.