Neck for Squier VM Telecaster Custom II

robertyroberty Frets: 10893
edited October 2015 in Making & Modding
Hi, just ordered a p90s loaded squier VM telecaster custom body from the states on a whim. Now I need to find a good neck to bolt into it. Would appreciate some advice from you knowledgeable people, namely:

will a standard 55mm heel fit
where is a good place to get one

On another note does anyone know how the p90s on these are mounted? Look to be attached to pickguard, are they dog ear? How easy is it to mount mini hums+surrounds?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    A regular Tele neck will fit - I upgraded the neck on mine when I had one (tbh, I hated the original, I just couldn't get on with it) and fitted a S/h Tokai one.

The pickups hang from the plate. There is a flat metal bar that is bolted to the P90s and then this has machine screws and springs like a Strat that allow the height adjustments.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Thanks @impmann how did you rate the guitar overall?  I love Tokai necks, the ones I've played anyway have been just right for me

For the pickups do you think it will it be possible to mount the bar to another pickup?  Or else will screwing them directly into the body be an option
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    It was *ok* - I didn't keep it long, tbh and parted it out. The standard pickups were fairly horrid (I'm not a fan of "Duncan Designed" stuff, I've yet to hear one I personally like) but the body was OK and it looked good.

The adjusting brackets can be removed and fitted to other P90s fairly easily - I'm not sure how you'd fare with mini humbuckers (purely as I'm not an expert on them in any way shape or form) or screwing them directly into the body.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.