What's a good cctv system?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Have you considered not having CCTV? Studies have shown they aren't an effective deterrent and the police don't really go after burglars that much these days. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you considered not having CCTV? Studies have shown they aren't an effective deterrent and the police don't really go after burglars that much these days. 
    What, and not have anything at all? The other option I thought about was an alarm, but sometimes they don't go off and doesn't stop them coming back again, once their face is on camera they won't come back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited March 2019
    Have you considered not having CCTV? Studies have shown they aren't an effective deterrent and the police don't really go after burglars that much these days. 
    What, and not have anything at all? The other option I thought about was an alarm, but sometimes they don't go off and doesn't stop them coming back again, once their face is on camera they won't come back.
    CCTV has a lot to commend it but if it's a choice of one or the other then I'd say that an alarm is a more effective deterrent.  In fact a mate who works with security systems always claims that having CCTV without an alarm is a bad idea as it shows you have something you want to protect without the deterrent value of a decent alarm system thus potentially inviting attention.  CCTV can be defeated simply with a face mask whereas an alarm system from a reputable manufacturer is a different kettle of fish for your average thieving scum.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    siremoon said:
    CCTV has a lot to commend it but if it's a choice of one or the other then I'd say that an alarm is a more effective deterrent.  In fact a mate who works with security systems always claims that having CCTV without an alarm is a bad idea as it shows you have something you want to protect without the deterrent value of a decent alarm system thus potentially inviting attention.  CCTV can be defeated simply with a face mask whereas an alarm system from a reputable manufacturer is a different kettle of fish for your average thieving scum.

Yeah an Alarm is a better idea, I have a Yale system that is completely wireless and works very well. 
  • What about having both? Lol.

I've got all my equipment in there that I leave overnight, not sure if I should put guitars in there but just having that peace of mind I've got something to deter any thieving scumbags from having a go breaking in.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Alarms work as a deterrent, same with CCTV, neither of them will actually prevent burglary, just make it less likely. The average thief will simply look for a softer target ie somewhere that doesn't have an alarm or CCTV.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited April 2019
    FX_Munkee said:
    Alarms work as a deterrent, same with CCTV, neither of them will actually prevent burglary, just make it less likely. The average thief will simply look for a softer target ie somewhere that doesn't have an alarm or CCTV.
    Two weeks ago I installed CCTV to supplement the alarm system we already had.  So far its only contribution has been to make me aware of the potential criminal activity in our street which I was previously blissfully unaware of.  In the small hours of Sunday morning two scumbags wearing masks spent a couple of minutes examining my car before deciding they would break in to the house and try to steal the keys.  They approached the house and then spotted the illuminated/flashing alarm box on the wall and thought better of it.  I don't think they even noticed the CCTV cameras, if they did they were not deterred.  What scared them off was the very visible (due to it being illuminated at night) alarm box.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom