What router?

This morning my Bosch POF 50 died. It's 42 years old, so I can't complain. What's the current view on routers for guitar building? I'm thinking 1/4 inch so that I don't have to re-buy all my router bits.
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16750

the bosch GFK600 palm router is my favourite for most guitar jobs.   althoguh it pays to also have a larger router.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33825
    edited October 2015
    Bosch GFK600 is very good- I have one and I use it for the Tru-Channel jig ad one for general duties.

I've recently converted over to Festool- they are expensive but imho absolutely worth the money if you do a lot of routing.
    All of them work with 1/4" bits and the OF1400 and OF2200 also work with 1/2".

The small Festool is about £100 more than the Bosch.

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Nowadays, I rarely use anything other than my little Bosch GKF600, usually with the optional (more like essential, actually!) plunge base fitted.  

The negatives: it's basic; it is very fiddly to switch on and off;  it takes some trial and error to get a universal guide-bush base to fit; it's not really up to mega-duty stuff (but for that you'd probably looking to 1/2" anyway)

The positives: it's light and accurate; it's very easy to switch to the fixed base for lighter work; even though I say it is not particularly heavy duty I've actually used it for ALL of this year's builds - I haven't got the big one out of it's box since I got the Bosch.

Having said that, if I was wanting to spend a bit more, I'd probably go for one of Bosch's larger models with soft start, etc...

On the other hand, don't forget that most 1/2" models come with a 1/4" adaptor so you can still use your bits but can also use the big beggars if the need arises...
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Mind you, I notice that the POF is now only £70!!! (Axminster)  The plunge base alone for the GFK will cost you that....
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader

Depending on how much money you want to spend I would go for the Trend T11EK, it is a great deal of money but it will last you a lifetime, it does come with half inch and quarter inch collects. It is a professional machine most likely a bit of an overkill if you don't make that many guitars. But one of the great things about using Routers like this there are much easier to use then a small light router, there are very heavy so the more stable when doing jig work, plus their fine hight adjustments makes pocket routing easy and accurate. DeWalt make one almost the same.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

GSPBASSES said:

Depending on how much money you want to spend I would go for the Trend T11EK, it is a great deal of money but it will last you a lifetime, it does come with half inch and quarter inch collects. It is a professional machine most likely a bit of an overkill if you don't make that many guitars. But one of the great things about using Routers like this there are much easier to use then a small light router, there are very heavy so the more stable when doing jig work, plus their fine hight adjustments makes pocket routing easy and accurate. DeWalt make one almost the same.

I have that in the router table.
    Excellent bit of kit and it integrates into a router table brilliantly.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8748
    1/2 inch collet though, unless it also take 1/4" but doesn't mention it
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited October 2015
    Roland said:
    1/2 inch collet though, unless it also take 1/4" but doesn't mention it
    You can get a 1/4" collet for the T10/11EK routers: 

It is a powerful and capable router- if you want something for a bit of medium duty guitar building I would probably get the Bosch first.

• Triton MOF router does 1/2 inch and multiple inserts for others, plully plunge and can fit in a table.. I use it in my pro shop. Great value for money

"Establish the possible, while gradually moving towards the impossible" Guitar Craft aphorism.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:

+1 to what Graham said - this is based on the old Elu MOF177 which was always the pro choice in the past.

Also +1 on having enough power - struggling with an underpowered router is a likely prelude to an accident

Bosch do make some nice ones

However I did buy a nice DeWalt 26204 which has a few nice features

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008CNFD4U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I bought this palm router/laminate trimmer recently, not used it yet but seems to be a Makita copy - externally at least.
     The Makita version has a soft-start function which is why I was looking at it over the Bosch. If this one has a start-at-all feature, I'll be satisfied.