Going on a European tour....

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2412
edited October 2015 in Live
Hi guys,

We're heading off for our first ever Euro tour next month....!

Well, I say Euro tour - some guy saw us and asked us to play for his Company and his wife's birthday in Belgium. We thought he was kidding, but nope, he's transferred the money and we've hired the van and booked the accommodation....!

So, I've decided that we need to have a bit of fun with it and have created a t shirt we'll all be wearing on the tour. As you can see, we're exceptionally popular, especially at the larger venues:

But in all seriousness - anyone done a little Euro jaunt before? Anything we should be aware of....?
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    You'll have a brilliant time, touring Europe is easily my fondest memory of being in a band. Just remeber to take two pin kettle leads for your amps!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2412
    timmysoft said:
    You'll have a brilliant time, touring Europe is easily my fondest memory of being in a band. Just remeber to take two pin kettle leads for your amps!
    Oh sh*t, that hadn't even crossed my mind!!!! Haha, cheers! I take it it'll all still be fine using a 2 pin adapter for the extension leads etc.?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    edited October 2015
    I wouldn't trust to using an adapter. If it was me, I'd make up a few 4-ways with a euro-plug properly connected to one end and then run all your backline from those.

[edit] Belgium? Do they use the standard French/German 'euro' plug? I'd check.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I wouldn't trust to using an adapter. If it was me, I'd make up a few 4-ways with a euro-plug properly connected to one end and then run all your backline from those.

[edit] Belgium? Do they use the standard French/German 'euro' plug? I'd check.
    Yep - http://www.iec.ch/worldplugs/typeE.htm

How do you wire up a 3 wire extension cable to a 2 pin termination...??
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    edited October 2015
    Euro plugs do have an earth - in fact they have 2 eathing points, a pin/hole(?) and then the copper strip down the side. They fit into both the French and German sockets which have different earthing methods.

[edit] Yes, that looks like a French plug with the earth on the hole (pin in the socket)

This is the kind of plug that comes on stuff from Thomann...

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    If you have any gear using kettle leads then just buy new ones with Euro plugs, same goes if you need a 4-way or other extension leads, don't muck about rewiring unless you have to.

That's all I had to do when moving to Switzerland, new kettle leads for Amp and pedal board PSU, job done.
    If you have any gear using kettle leads then just buy new ones with Euro plugs, same goes if you need a 4-way or other extension leads, don't muck about rewiring unless you have to.

That's all I had to do when moving to Switzerland, new kettle leads for Amp and pedal board PSU, job done.
    Cheers - would buying an extension lead with a 2 pin terminal and 4 UK plug sockets work OK do you think?
  • I did my first world tour recently.

It consisted of one date in Germany.

My top tip, try not let on your English when in the arse end of nowhere in Germany. They will probably blatently take the piss and overcharge you for everything.

Cool shirt!
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2556
    Ace post. Have fun!
  • That looks perfect - it has the dual use 'euro' plug so could be used for your follow up German tour next year.
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That looks perfect - it has the dual use 'euro' plug so could be used for your follow up German tour next year.
    ;)
    Cheers mate!

However, I think the Rock Am Ring supply their own extension leads ;)
  • Wow, good luck, OP! I'd love to do something like that!!
    And we're baaaaaaaaaaack!!!

Thankfully it was the weekend before the last one, otherwise we might not have been able to get back, what with all the security stuff going on in Belgium.

The weekend was amazing - the guy who wanted us there paid for everything - food, travel, accomodation, van hire, meals, rum, beer, more rum and gave us a tour of the areas as well.

The gigs themseleves were good, although not the best we've ever played - and it didn't help that the drummer booked the Eurotunnel for the wrong day, meaning we were delayed by 2 hours as we were then put in the slow queue,,,, plus traffic around Brussells meant we literally had to get to the venue and set up and play, after a 7 hour car journey!

The Saturday gig (the main one) was better - however, the bloke that hired us asked me if they could have a couple up for 2 songs (one guitarist and one singer). I agreed (hey, he's the boss, right?). However, the guitarist turned up for soundcheck p*ssed as a fart, and didn't speak much English. When I asked what song from the set he wanted to play, he picked a song we don't play..... plus 2 others.

OK, I thought, that's fine, we'll go with it - and they sounded OK.

The singer decided to sing on the final song, so that was all done and dusted.... they're helped off the stage.... and then, as soon as we launch into the remaining 17 songs on set 2, they decide to get back up and try and play / sing over us!

As you can see, I was trying to figure out what the chuff the guy was doing:

But overall, a brilliant little tour - and they want us in the Netherlands next summer :)
  • Lol, at least the paid for it all basically! :D Good stuff! 
    Did you get any recordings?
    Cheers!

We had a couple of videos, but they're basically full of the other bloke widdling over what we're playing very loudly.....!
  • :D
    Sounds like a great experience anyway - some people would love to say they've done a European tour - something you'll remember the rest of your life!
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Missed this first time around, amazing experience, as above plus no one can take it away from you, I'd love to do a tour of the Northwest and get paid....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1