Anyone have any advice on aging an anodized jazzmaster guard?

What's Hot
nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
edited October 2015 in Making & Modding
I've started the process of a jazzmaster build with the aid of GSPbasses expert luthier skills. The body and neck are now ready so my attention is turning to the hardware.

I'm looking to fit an anodized guard but want the guitar to have a reliced finish so don't want a shiny gold finish standing out. I know I will get the responses of just play it hard or I don't like relic finishes but thought it was worth an ask.

I've had some experience with aging nickel and plastic components but never anything anodized. Does anyone know the best method to get this sort of finish:

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think you can probably buy one... WD do a a nice looking gold guard.... There's also an American place on eBay who I bought a nice aged black guard for the ill-fated 70s jag... Let me try and find out who it was - I reckon they'd do one for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Right. After MUCH searching, it was Portland music. Really well done. Worth emailing them to see if they can do you one - they were excellent. portlandmusic@comcast.net
  • maybe @Jookyjr could ask his dad, he might know

@Wez is pretty clued up too. 

Whats the spec on the guitar mate?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16750
    I did try ageing a anodized gold guard but it didn't work great. If I was to try again I would buff through rather than sand through the plating

Modern gold ones look too orange for my tastes
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Cheers @GavHaus I'll try find out what they'd charge!

@meltedbuzzbox so far it's an Alder body with a birdseye maple neck with Brazilian Rosewood board. 62 Jazz neck profile and a 9.5 radius

@WezV I totally agree with the orange appearance. I've been given the heads up by Andrew Short who used to make small runs of anodized jazz guards as to which modern one comes the closest.
    I'm still really tempted to try myself so will seriously consider the buffing approach! Cheers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    Wire wool used carefully should do it if you move it in the same way as your fingers would around the knobs etc. Just make sure you do it with the hardware in place to create the right protected areas - wrap the parts in masking take if you don't want to scuff them as well - and cover the pickup polepieces with it or you'll be picking bits off them for ages.

A copper coin (they're actually plated steel) used as a pick deliberately hitting the guard should create the right sort of wear pattern there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sounding good Nick. 

I would really recommend mojo pickups for your internals :-) and if you are feeling the flush a mastery 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    sounding good Nick. 

I would really recommend mojo pickups for your internals :-) and if you are feeling the flush a mastery 
    I'm already sorting the harness and pickups with Marc ;)
    I was thinking Staytrem bridge and fender trem to keep it more original looking (and keep costs down!!)

• I hear you on the cost.
    If you are a heavy vibrato user the staytrem seems to fair better than the mastery. 

If its not too late I strongly recommend getting the bridge pickup overwound to match the neck pickup. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom