Wiring capacitors to a 3 or 5 way switch to get different tones on a single pickup guitar...?

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
edited October 2015 in Making & Modding
I have my favourite 'beater' Esquire / Telemaster guitar.

I love this guitar as it is perfect for gigging, recording and a real comfy playable instrument.

However I was thinking what would be interesting would be to perhaps wire either a 3 or 5 way switch with preset tone settings, so position one no tone at all and the rest in different tone settings.

Currently it is Chopper T wired straight to a volume pot and just a switch for coil split, as I get annoyed with push, pull switches when gigging.

So any suggestion on how and what values may work?

I'm thinking cocked wah like the 'Eldritch mod' for example and maybe another setting on a three way. 

I like my guitars as luddite as possible.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Sounds rather like a Varitone, so you'll risk the problem of significant volume drop on some cap settings I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I might have three way switch out of an esquier already wired with the Eldred mod available if it is of interest.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited October 2015
    Not sure how luddite this is but ....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

Sling a choke on it and make yourself a varitone :)

Personally I love the way varitones interact with existing tone controls bleeding some frequencies back in.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    edited October 2015
    Richardj said:
    I might have three way switch out of an esquier already wired with the Eldred mod available if it is of interest.
    May take you up that fella. Will PM you.

@streethawk That looks awesome, think I'd get lost though!

I have an Eldred mod on my Esquire and that works really well for me as its pretty straightforward. However 5 options may fry my grey cells!
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway