What Eastern scale is this C Db E F G A Bb ? Contains video of Shawn Lane playing it for 9 minutes!

What's Hot
bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
My brain is fried, can't think what the scale is - keep getting distracted by the awesomeness of the playing ;-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    It's the 5th mode of the Harmonic Major scale, for what that's worth. Best I can find is someone calling it the Mixolydian b2 - which seems sensible enough. But if it's a traditional Eastern scale, it must have another, older name, which I'd be interested to know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Megii said:
    It's the 5th mode of the Harmonic Major scale, for what that's worth. Best I can find is someone calling it the Mixolydian b2 - which seems sensible enough. But if it's a traditional Eastern scale, it must have another, older name, which I'd be interested to know.
    If it were the 5th mode of the Harmonic Minor, then it's parent HM scale would be rooted on F, so the A would have to be flat.

I don't know what it is either, so I wrote out the spelling of all its modes to see if I recognised any of them

C - R b2 3 4 5 6 b7
    Db - R #2 3 #4 #5 6 7
    E - R b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7
    F - R 2 3 4 5 b6 7
    G - R 2 b3 4 b5 6 b7
    A - R b2 b3 b4 5 b6 b7
    Bb - R 2 b3 #4 5 6 7

... I didn't, but the last one a "minor Lydian" scale looks like it could be interesting ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Phil_aka_Pip said: Megii said: It's the 5th mode of the Harmonic Major scale, for what that's worth. Best I can find is someone calling it the Mixolydian b2 - which seems sensible enough. But if it's a traditional Eastern scale, it must have another, older name, which I'd be interested to know. If it were the 5th mode of the Harmonic Minor, then it's parent HM scale would be rooted on F, so the A would have to be flat.

I don't know what it is either, so I wrote out the spelling of all its modes to see if I recognised any of them

C - R b2 3 4 5 6 b7
    Db - R #2 3 #4 #5 6 7
    E - R b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7
    F - R 2 3 4 5 b6 7
    G - R 2 b3 4 b5 6 b7
    A - R b2 b3 b4 5 b6 b7
    Bb - R 2 b3 #4 5 6 7

... I didn't, but the last one a "minor Lydian" scale looks like it could be interesting ...
    Of course what you say re the Harmonic
    Minor is absolutely true - just to be clear, I did say Harmonic Major, which is a recognized (albeit not widely used) scale https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_major_scale  But I happily admit I don't know a whole lot about the scale beyond that. :D

• @Megii Sorry I should have read you more carefully
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    That's verging on the unlistenable for me but the technique is just incredible. Nice to see Jonas on bass. Just reading that Shawn took cortisone to deal with his arthritis and that's what lead to his weight gain, he certainly didn't look like that when he was younger.

No idea about the scale but not obviously clichéd eastern.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited October 2015
    @Megii Sorry I should have read you more carefully
    No worries! You made some interesting points - I just wasn't sure from your post if you'd read me correctly or not to be honest. Hope someone on here knows the traditional name for the scale anyhow. :)
  • I'm guessing that he is playing, or thinking, about some kind of a raga rather than thinking harmonic major.  
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited October 2015
    Here's my scale compendium - see the yellow scale, top right. Yes 5th mode of harmonic major is mixo b2 but actually I don't think it's a very good name because the freygish / snake-charmerish beginning coupled with the flat 7 conspire it to sound more minor than major, despite having a major 3rd. I'd call it a freygish dorian or freygish #6 or something. http://www.guitaristtv.com/Downloads/Modes 2014_02_18 - for GTV.xlsx
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.