Vintage archtop questions, currently a restore / ruin thread!

What's Hot
SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
edited November 2015 in Making & Modding
Just got myself a vintage archtop and have a few questions:
It smells musty inside the body, any way of getting rid if the smell or should it fade in time?
The action is way too high for me, unfortunatley lowering it would mean the strings hitting the single pickup. Does anyone know of a very low profile surface mounted pickup?
The fretboard has that old black painted look you see on cheap guitars for kids.What could I do to get a better finish?
Cheers
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Regarding the smell just keep it out if the case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Regarding the smell just keep it out if the case.

This. I got my hollow body from someone who obviously believed in the Lynx effect. After a couple of months sitting on a stand, my guitar no longer smells like a teenage boy.
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    Brilliant thanks, it has been stored in a leatherette case for lord knows how long.
  • It does these old guitars no good at all been kept in cases. So if you can safely get them out on a stand or wall hanger that will be best
    Ill be sure to get it on a hanger asap. I need to find a pickguard for it too but have no branding to point to what it is. Will likely source a hofner style one. The electrics work but its a very low volume guitar. The pickup has made in japan on the underside hinting at its origins.
    It would be a shame to, but I might cut a pickup hole in it if I can locate the bracing with any accuracy. Ideally a new fretboard would be nice as its slightly concave and I could maybe sort the action at the same time if the new one was thicker. Might be a bit of work for a novice though.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I had a Mojo gold foil that was flat bottomed (usually they aren't but he can make them that way) and quite shallow depth wise. And soundwise it would be perfect for that. Nice acquisition - hngd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @jookychap would be nice to avoid chopping it.
  • I wouldn't start spending a lot on it tho.
    Hope u got it for a good price
    edited October 2015
    I paid £20 for it @musicman100 so I think it was. Any work I'd attempt myself. Im a fast learner and like to tinker with things.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool,
    I wouldn't be scared of cutting out for a pick up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    @Skodadad said:
    I paid £20 for it @musicman100 so I think it was. Any work I'd attempt myself. Im a fast learner and like to tinker with things.
    Man, I am so jealous, I've been looking everywhere for such a thing.  And sometimes the smell is down to interesting mushrooms growing inside, so careful with the fabreeze :)

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24851
    £20? Wow duly awarded. I had the chance to buy an old Framus archtop for £50 a few years ago - but a nasty crack in the heel stopped me.

I'm confident I could have repaired it - been kicking myself ever since.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    blow smoke into it when having a tab or two or get a mate too... then air it...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Nice. I like the segmented f-holes.
    20 quid well spent.
    edited October 2015
    It is a rather beautiful guitar but the high action makes it a little unplayable for me.
    It all works though and actually sounds old through an amp. I don't think I want to chop it though so will likely swap it for something when I finish looking at it.
    I cleaned it up today and made up a scratchplate from a tiny bit of old scratchplate I had. Not perfect as the size of the original was larger (shape is visible in laquer) but it covers the pickup wire a bit.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Tune to open G use it for a bit of slide...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    To be fair half the shit the missus gets from next or whatever for twice the price looks half as good so it can be an ornament. I played fast and loose with the £20, that's just the way I roll!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    P.s did I mention I got a free leatherette bag...with carrying handle no less.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom