Big Bends....

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15991

c/w nice widdley wide vibrato,ala start of PARISIAN WALKWAY .......one,two or three fingers?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455

3 fingers for me, 15th fret B string
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    As many fingers behind the bend as possible - in other words, if you're bending with your second finger, support it with your index finger - if you're bending with the third, support it with the second and third.

The only player I've seen who does a lot of big bends, but just uses one finger is Eric Clapton. It seems to work fine for him.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33845
    edited October 2015
    To do it 'correctly' it is a wrist action with a finger being supported by the one behind it (usually 3rd being supported by 2nd).
    There are other ways to do it, of course, but the further you stray from doing it correctly the more likely you are to have hand problems down the line.

I frequently do pretty big bends with my 4th supported by the 3rd and 2nd supported by the 1st, but I've also had hand surgery as well.
  • vizviz Frets: 10723
    edited October 2015
    Single post :(
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10723
    edited October 2015
    Double post :(
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33845
    viz said:
    You play over the top of tfb? Nice :) 

I never used to, then I met Dario, who played it all out logically and set me straight on it.
    My thumb moves depending on what I am doing.
    When bending it goes over, then doing fast runs it is in classical position, in line with the 2nd finger if you look through the neck/fretboard.
    He was absolutely right and I play that way now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited October 2015
    octatonic said:
    To do it 'correctly' it is a wrist action with a finger being supported by the one behind it (usually 3rd being supported by 2nd).
    There are other ways to do it, of course, but the further you stray from doing it correctly the more likely you are to have hand problems down the line.

I frequently do pretty big bends with my 4th supported by the 3rd and 2nd supported by the 1st, but I've also had hand surgery as well.

this....

use as many fingers as you need / as the lick leading into the bend will allow

keep your fingers still, stiff and as straight as possible

anchor your hand on the underside of the neck [with the bit between the thumb and 1st finger] to function as a pivot

the bend comes by rotating the wrist [so the power comes from the forearm rather than the fingers]

where possible [general rule, but not absolute] pull the 3rd to 6th strings downwards, push the 1st and 2nd strings upwards..

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

btw - vibrato is exactly the same technique because it is lots of smaller bends one after another...

so master one and you can master the other..

play every note as if it were your first
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    2nd finger supports the 3rd finger for the bend, 1st finger lies flat diagonally behind the 1st finger to sweep and mute unwanted string noise. Using all 3 fingers as support is not needed and opens you up to string /handling noise.

Perfect.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    octatonic said:
    viz said:
    You play over the top of tfb? Nice :) 

I never used to, then I met Dario, who played it all out logically and set me straight on it.
    My thumb moves depending on what I am doing.
    When bending it goes over, then doing fast runs it is in classical position, in line with the 2nd finger if you look through the neck/fretboard.
    He was absolutely right and I play that way now.

and yes to this.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    ALWAYS bend from the wrist...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>