Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

More proof of why Joe Bonamesser is a twat

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/23222-joe-bonamassa-and-the-three-kings

The Kings do not need a tribute tour.
The Blues does not need a boring white guy with 59 Les Pauls and expensive fuzz faces.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Surely he owns more than 59 Les Pauls?  There are at least 100 signature models for a start.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wish people would just f*ck off with the Bonamassa hate. He's earning a good living playing guitar to big crowds which, as far as I can gather, is what most people on here would give their left bollock for.

If you don't like him, don't listen.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 22reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    ^^ Completely agree. The guy's out there playing proper music and playing it bloody well. What's not to like?

If the OP is concerned that a white guy in sharp suits playing expensive guitars isn't true to the spirit of the blues, well, that ship sailed a long, long time ago.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited October 2015
    I wont fk off in the face of toss taste.

It's in the hope that gradually people will see the light and stop giving him their money. Same as when you help someone by pointing out they have stepped in dog doo that they might have mistaken for roses. The dude isn't even half as good as Derek Trucks, flame on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, you're one of those people who consider themselves an arbiter of acceptable taste. Good luck with that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118

It's in the hope that gradually people will see the light and stop giving him their money. Same as when you help someone by pointing out they have stepped in dog doo that they might have mistaken for roses. The dude isn't even half as good as Derek Trucks, flame on.
    And how do we measure this? Notes played per minute perhaps, key changes per..? Music is not a competition, at least it shouldn't be.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2015
    Cmon, we all know this is an internet debate so take it with a pinch of salt : ) : ) : ) but if I have answer the question then: listen to both of them, if you get what I'm saying then fine. If not then as you were.

Regarding the linked article, if you don't think a rich unoriginal white guy doing a watered down "tribute" tour in the name of three iconic blues innovators to white audiences, who buys all the King gear and says it doesn't sound right, who plays a faster "better than" derivative style of playing, is not lame in the least then....well... there is no help for you hahaha
  • Why can't we listen to both? Why does it have to be a competition?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2015
    There is no competition. But if you feel deeply about music and care about the musicians out there who are genuine artists, how detached would you have to be to ignore the massive success of a number of pretenders to the creative throne? Now not everyone has the same perception and yes these type of arguments go round and around, but I don't think I'm alone and those out there who get what I'm saying can see what is obvious. Hopefully those on the fence can look objectively, explore further and come to the conclusion that they may prefer something more genuine. Everyone has had these mild musical epiphanies, myself included. Whether its ditching Muse for Radiohead or Mumford for Ray Lamontagne or Gillian Welch
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Eric Clapton released his 'From The Cradle' blues album in '94, followed by the 'Nothing But The Blues' tour. He ditched the suits and played with a fire and vigor he hadn't displayed in years.

It was definitely EC 'The musician', rather than 'EC the star'.

I'm not really a fan of JB - but may be he'll undergo a similar transformation doing this?
  • I wish people would just f*ck off with the Bonamassa hate. He's earning a good living playing guitar to big crowds which, as far as I can gather, is what most people on here would give their left bollock for.

If you don't like him, don't listen.
    That's about the strength of it ... Good luck to him. Jealousy is a terrible affliction. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jealousy is a terrible affliction. 
    Ugh. If there's one thing more predictably annoying than people hating things on the internet, it's people who insist that all disapproval is rooted in jealousy. What a load of fucking nonsense.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    edited October 2015
    Brize said:Ah, you're one of those people who consider themselves an arbiter of acceptable taste. Good luck with that.
    It's better than being one of those people who uses phrases like 'Proper music'. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited October 2015
    Jealousy is a terrible affliction. 
    Ugh. If there's one thing more predictably annoying than people hating things on the internet, it's people who insist that all disapproval is rooted in jealousy. What a load of fucking nonsense.
    What is entirely predictable, and annoying in equal measure, is the self righteous balloon calling someone a twat, followed by inane ramblings about what the Blues does and does not need;  and that is taken as some sort of artistic disapproval, when in reality I read it as simple jealousy and bad bloody manners.

Your miles etc etc. Assuredly mine don't. 
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    edited October 2015
    I really liked the Sloe Gin album.  The great thing is, I can choose to listen to whatever music I like.  I don't have to sit on any fence or choose between BB or JB.  I like them both and appreciate different things about their playing.  Maybe in doing the 3Ks shows, JB will bring their music to a new audience and increase the number of people who appreciate them.

Yes, JB is going mad with the merch but so what.  Don't like it, don't buy it.  If there's a market for it, it'll be sustainable, it not, it'll die out.  

If we all thought the same thing about music it would all be a bit boring.  You don't need to ditch anything.  Listen to what you think sounds good and let others do the same.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    edited October 2015
    http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/23222-joe-bonamassa-and-the-three-kings

The Kings do not need a tribute tour.
    The Blues does not need a boring white guy with 59 Les Pauls and expensive fuzz faces.
    So if JB doesn't bring the music to a new audience, who the fuck will?  There's not many originals left and, if you will forgive me expressing an opinion, most of the new players really aren't that, err, bluesy.   JB is a bit like EC in being a hugely popular and well known artist playing a very unpopular musical form and getting people informed and interested.

And as has been said, if you don't like it, don't subscribe to it.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Brize said:Ah, you're one of those people who consider themselves an arbiter of acceptable taste. Good luck with that.
    It's better than being one of those people who uses phrases like 'Proper music'. 
    By which I simply mean playing a musical instrument - I wasn't suggesting that blues is a superior art-form.

FWIW, I'm not a Bonamassa fan myself - I've tried to get into his music but it leaves me pretty cold.
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    Cmon, we all know this is an internet debate so take it with a pinch of salt : ) : ) : ) but if I have answer the question then: listen to both of them, if you get what I'm saying then fine. If not then as you were.

Regarding the linked article, if you don't think a rich unoriginal white guy doing a watered down "tribute" tour in the name of three iconic blues innovators to white audiences, who buys all the King gear and says it doesn't sound right, who plays a faster "better than" derivative style of playing, is not lame in the least then....well... there is no help for you hahaha

What the fact that he's rich got to do with it?

What the fact that he's white got to do with it?

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6171
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I would trade jobs with Joe and instruments and amps and skill not sure I could deal with his haircut.