telecaster body weight relief

My tele body is a bit heavy so I'm going to cut a couple of chambers and put a cap on top. Is there any 'science' involved or can one just hoof some wood out? I figure that leaving all the centre section is pretty logical for general strength. This is what I am planning to take out (unless advised otherwise!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16750

that will be fine.  You can also take out all the control area too for extra weight loss.  I would normally do behind the bridge but if makes sense to leave that solid with the bigsby

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Thanks. I had visions of dropping little screws etc into the controls cavity and cursing trying to shake them out, so that's why I left that bit solid.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

I don't suppose the cavities WILL resonate but a few cotton wool balls would stop any possibility.

Or fibreglass or rockwool or BAF.

Dave.

ecc83 said:

I don't suppose the cavities WILL resonate but a few cotton wool balls would stop any possibility.

Or fibreglass or rockwool or BAF.

Dave.

Good point. BAF?
    It won't be an issue. Don't add anything to the chambers
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    This is what GSP does with his ash bodies as far as I know, mine certainly has it. Lovely lightweight thing :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    Got some 2.5mm Maple to go over the top, but it doesn't feel that substantial at that thickness, I think I may double it up.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Keeping the control area solid (like you've shown) may help with balance on a strap, I find my thinline can suffer from a bit of neck dive.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Depends really. Did you weigh the body? The amount of chambering you have shown will tike it down by 20-25% at most

Maple sawn to 2.5mm should be strong enough but would need a couple if strips inside the control cavity. I am less sure about a cut veneer at 2.5mm, but I think it would be weaker than sawn. Not even sure if you can get cut veneer as thick as 2.5mm but I have had cut up to 1.5mm so assume its possible
    Weight 5.5lb At present. I think I'll rout the chambers then see how the maple feels in place. Cut vs sawn veneer - does it make a difference?
    I believe cut is weaker, possibly treated before being cut... I can't remember