Slowing a table saw down 240 - 110V?

What's Hot
SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
edited October 2015 in Making & Modding

I'm thinking about temporarily converting a 10" table saw blade to a disc sander, angle grinder, glue, velcro, sandpaper sort of thing, but probably need to slow the revs down a touch.  Could I just wire it to my site 240/110V transformer and use that to reduce the voltage and maybe buy a 13A 240V female to 16A 110V plug adaptor?

It would be handy as I don't need a sander all the time, just for bodies and furniture feet and stuff, where as I need a table saw.

Is my 110V site equipment AC still?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72544
    edited October 2015
    Yes, the 110V is still AC - it's just stepped down, not rectified.

I think it should work, although I've never tried it. Not sure how much speed reduction you'll get when the motor isn't under much load though.

I'm pretty sure you have the option of 55V as well - the 110V is centre-tapped to earth, in order to keep the potential shock hazard as low as possible. (110V by itself is still considered hazardous.)

I doubt you'll be able to buy the adaptor you need since it has no legitimate use, but it's easy enough to make one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    You can actually buy the adaptors, don't know why, but yeah, it'd be cheaper to make one.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was torque you lost rather than speed actually.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited October 2015

doofus comment 

I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

If it is a brush motor it is likely "series wound" and therefore AC/DC. The speed of a series wound motor is infinite unloaded!

In practice of course there is usually some load, if only a cooling fan*. Reducing the input volts will reduce on load speed as others have said because there will be less current driven through the motor.

If it is a single phase induction motor of the sort you find on a small drill press up to 1/2 a horse, the speed is related to mains frequency off load but again will reduce if voltage and hence current is limited.

*DON'T try this at home kids! But, if you strip out an old vacuum cleaner motor and take off the fan, put it in a bench vice and power it up it will scream and attempt Warp Ten and probably destroy itself!.....Oh! The things we did 50+years ago! Wonder I lived through it all.

Dave.

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776

If it is ac then speed is proportional to the frequency of the PSU. Which is about 50hz usually, I'd have thought changing current/voltage will only affect the power/torque as said above. If you could *somehow* lower the frequency at which the current alternates then I think that would lower your speed.

If you could find somehting that could vary the frequency then you could control the speed. No Idea if something like that is readily avaliable to an average jo however.

I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Ah. So frequency of the AC is key.  Hmmm...bollocks. Well in honesty, even less torque would be better as the thing wouldn't be so ferocious.

Then there are these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/ac-motor-speed-controller

But I don't know what they do? Seem like voltage regulators to me.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2998
    You need to control the motor speed with a Variable Speed Drive (VSD). For an ac motor this can be a variable frequency drive (VFD). Sorry I don't know how you would go about getting one for a 'domestic' motor. I design sewage works and we use VSD motor drives a lot but 'tis what you might call 'industrial' use. The motor sped controller you link to could well be a VFD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustable-speed_drive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom