Cleaning up fret board

What's Hot
SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
edited October 2015 in Making & Modding
I got a Tele recently that had been sprayed with yellow nitro on the neck. By the neck I mean all of it, frets, fret board the lot. I cleaned most of it off with acetone and 0000 wire wool but the fret board looks a bit dirty now. Any recommendations for cleaning it? I think some sanding may be needed but guessing to do it properly I would need to remove the frets first.?it's not that bad just in the grain of the board but enough to annoy me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Sounds horrific any pics?
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    edited October 2015
    It wasn't that bad really, the frets it came off easy as did the neck just a cloth and acetone. Most came off the fretboard too with a toothbrush but there was some still in the grain. The wire wool tonight has made it a bit grey looking, in bed now so will add a photo tommorow. I had no choice really as it had a fake fender logo which was a bit naff. I have a similar problem with another too as that has a lacquered over logo. Not sure why anyone does it? Anyone that doesn't know guitars wouldn't have a clue what fender was and anyone who does wouldn't be fooled. Quite annoying lol.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    A Stanley knife blade works well for scraping gunk off rosewood fretboards, not sure if it would work with maple. I assume it's maple from your description.
    edited October 2015
    Yes it's maple sorry, should have said. I may stain it if that's possible as I don't much care for light coloured necks.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    That's a bizarre thing to do a neck and fretboard. Spraying it yellow I mean, not trying to scrape it off. That seems perfectly reasonable. Apart from sanding it down, I can't think of anything else that might work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Unless you're confident enough to do a refret I wouldn't remove them. That's a lot of work to do unless the frets are really knackered.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16750
    I would start with the scraping.

Wire wool on bare maple may stain
    edited October 2015
    Cheers guys will give it a go, this is how it looks :image
    You can just see the bits of nitro next to the frets.
    Doesn't look too bad at all. Unless it's really bugging you, I'd stop there. You could maybe carefully scrape around the frets with a stanley knife blade to get rid of the worst of the nitro.
    Scraping it worked a treat thanks guys
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30939
    If it needs cleaning up I'd start by banning @drew_fx

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.