Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is it possible to buy a bad new acoustic with budget £350 to £550 range?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Continued posts on this very helpful and much appreciated.

I didn't know if was this complicated!
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Just noticed the thread title. Wouldn't your mate rather buy a good acoustic?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I am VERY happy with a secondhand Taylor GS mini e that I got off gumtree for £350.
    I'd reccomend one to anyone starting out, as i find the smaller body more comfortable and the tone + projection from the GS mini is something to behold relative to the size.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Hertz32;874457" said:
    I am VERY happy with a secondhand Taylor GS mini e that I got off gumtree for £350.
    I'd reccomend one to anyone starting out, as i find the smaller body more comfortable and the tone + projection from the GS mini is something to behold relative to the size.
    My GS Mini has cured my guitar gas. It's just perfect for what I need, portable, sounds great, plays great, perfect for sofa play and no concern about having to keep it in a case, just an all round great guitar.
  • I have been looking for a higher end guitar and still have not found the one despite dilligent application. 

I walked into my local store that does nothing high end but is still a nice friendly store.

Played this Cort take on an OM and bought it on the spot it might not be Mrs right but its certainly Mrs right now, a lot of guitar for not a lot of money. 

After playing guitars in the states most shops stock way more Adirondack than over here and I sort of liked the sound of an OM with Adirondack. As this was 10% of the cost of the one I played its certainly not 10% of the sound and its still not played in yet.

Enjoying muchly :-)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Been looking at 'beginner' acoustics today. Nothing that didn't work even sub £100 everything was functional. Quite a lot of suprisingly skinny necks, the Epiphones I tried had little sticks of necks. But picking up a Yamaha fg700 ( the slightly more expensive sandburst variant) was instantly a cut above in terms of a grown up neck, sounding in tune and the depth of tone. I tried a couple of things around £250 but the Yammy still seemed better to me. No doubt £350 to £550 would get you something even better but I'm not convinced a beginner needs to spend that much.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    As someone said in another thread, a beginner can't go wrong by buying Yamaha, regardless of the type of instrument.

I'm not convinced they're always the best value for money since the name itself seems to carry a little bit of a premium, and I'm not at all a fan of some of the models like the APXs, but I'm not sure I've ever come across a truly bad Yamaha anything.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3913
    My recommendation for your friend would be the Seagull entourage. Seriously good guitars for the money.
  • Just save your time and get him a Faith Naked Venus.
  • Solid wood SIGMA'S are worth a look,nice guitars for the money.
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    edited January 2016
    Appreciate this is an older thread. 
    I have been using a Faith naked Neptune for a while, think it was about £470. Upgraded now, but it is a beautiful thing and plays lovely. When we were in the States they were loving it as it isn't a brand they see a lot there. Kept asking me if it was a Taylor.