Headstock colour

What's Hot
SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
edited October 2015 in Making & Modding
I decided yesterday to dye the flat front body face of a Tele I had for sale that wasn't moving. Happy with how it turned out but thinking of doing the flat front face of the headstock. The rear of the body is in dark wood, I wish I could do the neck to match but no idea what the colour is. I'll probably change the scratch plate too though not decided on a colour yet. I'm thinking I could oil the headstock back and sides then sand the front face. Then mask the edges and dye the front. Is this likely to leave a good solid line? Opinions on how it would look welcome. image
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16748
    don't do it.  the stain will take very differently on the maple so it won't be a matching headstock.  it will be lighter, but more consistent on the maple

if you did want it matching you are best to veneer the headstock with the same wood as the body first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    Cheers @wezv as always good to have your expertise on hand. I don't know what the wood is so maybe best leaving it
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2428
    Looks like ash, there's plenty headstock size veneers on ebay, I bought a pack of 10 @ 0.6mm ash veneer for practice with stains/oils for £4 i think.
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    Cheers @sarge will have a look now
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72529
    Necks with maple fingerboards should only ever have plain maple headstocks. Anything else just doesn't look right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom