Another one sorry

What's Hot
This is a Tele I had for sale after trading it but had no bites, decided to dye just the front face leaving the back in dark wood. Just another thread to log progress, sorry about all the spamming threads I have for various guitars lol. This was sanded back and dyed with pigment ink designed for inkjet cart refills. Dried with a heatgun, dyed again then scrubbed with wet wire wool until it stopped leaching. Dried again then several coats of Briwax, it is not shedding any colour anymore and hard rubbing with a white towel gives only a clear wax residue on the cloth. Will keep coating it while I work out what to do with the neck. I love the grain and the slight exposed wood bits, reminds me of a pair of jeans for some reason.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    That looks fantastic! There's lots of individual things that are not to my taste (e.g. the binding, the colour), but they work together beautifully here. Well done!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    Thanks @mart, it was never meant to be a keeper but owed me £120 which seems like nothing for a half decent Tele. When it never sold I thought sod it I'll give it a go and now I like it so probably going to spend a bit on it and make it a keeper. Im not sure what to do about the binding, it still has a yellow tinge to it from varnish or the likes on the edges but the ends are now white after sanding. I will likely mask the body and sand it all to white. I'd love to do black binding on it but not ready for that challenge yet.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Beautiful.

Thanks @andyjr1515 I'm really getting into the building and modding thanks to you guys.
  • FlukeFluke Frets: 4
    I think the colour is great!
    Also the texture is stunning in that side on shot, appeals to me a lot.
    Would love to see a pic of the whole guitar.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I quite like that colour. Is it Teal?
    Its Cyan @Saffafras, literally cyan Ink lol
    Full guitar:
     I have some plans for it. Something I have never seen done before but probably has

• FlukeFluke Frets: 4
    Love it!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72540
    That's fantastic.

You don't need to do anything to the neck other than oil it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RolandRoland Frets: 8748
    That's a beautiful instrument. I didn't think that printer ink would harden like that
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited October 2015
    Thanks guys, It goes very Matt @roland, as soon as the wax, oil or polyurethane hits it it just glows! I think the key may be to keep adding it and letting it dry (or be lazy like me and use a heat gun) after a while it seems to stop absorbing and I guess that's where it's at its limit. I then use wire wool and then follow with sealer of choice. I'm no expert just making it up as I go along and have no idea of the longevity of it.
    Ps @roland remove the words "printer ink" from your post and it takes a whole new twist lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    That was a great looking guitar before (I was tempted when it was in the classifieds but don't have the room for it!) but now it's even better! Top work.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Thanks @bigMonka my problem now is making it sound sufficiently different to my other Tele to justify keeping it or the other as I don't want to part with either.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    What pickups have you got in each of them? That's got to be the easiest way to give them each a unique trait.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    @bigMonka no idea, the first has a bridge hot rail and standard chrome neck type. The second chrome neck and a really chunky open single coil. I heard a guy playing at a meet last week and loved the sound of his guitar which I later found out had soapbox p90s. The cyan one has a centre diagonal pickup rout behind the pick guard so that may be worth exploring as an option but I do have to get something with a pair of p90s at some point.