adding binding - e.g. to a les paul studio

Probably a silly thought but how big a job / price would it be for someone that has the skills (i.e. not me)  to add some binding to the body of a les paul studio?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Raygun Reliics ?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16748
    Pretty difficult on a studio as the neck is in the way on the body, and frets are in the way on the board. So lots of hand work on the body, and a refret for the board

Painted on or PRS style is much easier
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    WezV said:
    Pretty difficult on a studio as the neck is in the way on the body, and frets are in the way on the board. So lots of hand work on the body, and a refret for the board

Painted on or PRS style is much easier
    thats what i was going to say.

I loved LP studio's, but the one thing that always put me off was the binding...and looked into this a lot...finally decided that it was way too much hassel and expense, and you may as well get a Standard or one that comes with binding.

I've seen the painted option done and its fine...and also, i've had a couple of Ibanez Iceman's that had painted binding and they looked good too.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks chaps - I was thinking about just the body to save a refret.   In my head someone could just run a router around the body edge and stick some binding on, but I can see how the neck makes that really tricky.     

I thought it was a silly idea :)   
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16748
    The carve also makes it more difficult on a les paul
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2015
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10318
    Yeah,it wasn't difficult on my LPJ mainly due to the thin finish but would imagine it wouldn't work on a thicker painted finish. I'd be tempted to strip it so you have the maple cap showing acting as faux binding like mine.Big job though,I imagine.
    Laugh, love, live, learn.