Pickup position

paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3058
edited October 2015 in Making & Modding
So I have an Epiphone EB-0 Shortscale Bass neck that I hope to marry up with the Coronado body, that's on its way from @davedave, which is unrouted for pups, therefore I have complete freedom of choice as to where to rout for the pup.....but where, oh where should it go, is there a formula for pup position? I could just copy the location from the EB-0 but although I like the sound, I would like a bit more brightness, so I think the "middle" position would be best, no idea how to determine where that is though......perhaps Its not a critical as I think.... theres no scratchplate so a swimming pool route and experimentation is out....

Cheers! 

Paul
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16750
    edited October 2015
    Move it towards the bridge and it gets brighter. Move it too close to the bridge and it gets too thin.

The traditional EB0 position is quite muddy because its so far from the bridge.

People talk about harmonic nodes and sweet spots but ignore most of that, its a big pickup so even if you believe that stuff you still stand a good chance of hitting one ;)

If in doubt for a bridge pickup location I would string it up and pick right next to the bridge. Gradually move away from the bridge still picking. After a short difference you will hear the string come alive, this is the absolute closest you want to be.

For a middle pickup, eye balling is the way to go but if you really want a measurement go for half way between the 24th fret position and bridge
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3058
    Cheers Wez!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll