Tele-style wiring, what have I done wrong?

I have a 3 way switch in my Telemaster, which I have wired like this - 

But when I plug it in, it only makes sound in where 2 and 4 would be on a 5 way switch? I have to hold it between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 for it to make sound? I dont understand what I've done wrong?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Are the tags marked A definitely the wipers? Some switches are built the other way round.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72540
    edited October 2015
    I think you have the switch backwards - some brands are actually made like that if I remember rightly, ie a mirror image of the diagram. (So the 'A's are at the opposite ends from shown.) That would give the result you get because it will only work when the rotor is bridging the two positions.

Have a look closely at the switch and make sure the pickup connections go to the terminal that contacts the long curved part of the rotor.

Edit - beaten to the same thing by GuitarMonkey :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ah, thats probably it. D'oh.